Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by sr...@wipro.com on 2009/05/12 11:08:02 UTC

ActiveMQ for Embedded systems - Memory constraints

Hi All,

We are building an embedded product with java platform. We are planning
to use ActiveMQ for messaging within java and between java and
native(using ActiveMQ-CPP).

I have gone through the FAQ, release notes, docs etc. I even installed
and ActiveMQ to just try it. But my below questions are still not
answered.

1. Since ours is an embedded product, we want a lightweight messaging
service. We just need basic async messaging. ActiveMQ seems good with
broker architecture. But is it suited for embedded system products with
limited memory?
2. Since I don't want features like persistence, security(since we
operate within the system) and probably many more, how do I know the
dependencies between JARs so that I can remove the independent &
unwanted features.
3. Is there a way that I remove these JARs without any problem and still
use core activeMQ features?
4. I saw required and optional JARs listed in the configuration, but
couldn't find what are the dependencies and how I can remove it.
5. we felt ActiveMQ to be good since we have a servlet engine, browser
also in our product.
6. what is the least possible size of ActiveMQ? How do I strip it?
7. I also saw ActiveMQ taking a run time memory of around 40-50MB which
is huge for us. Anyway to limit this. Hopefully, If I am able to strip
activeMQ to the lowest possible size, runtime memory should be low since
memory required for loading will be less.
8. ActiveMQ-CPP shared library is around 30 - 40 MB with dependencies
like cppunit, uuid, librt etc. I got an answer from Tim suggesting to
use strip --strip-unneeded xxx.SO to reduce the size. Its reduced to
4.9MB now.

It will be really great if anybody can help me on this. If required,
please redirect me to any links where I can find answers.
Thanks in advance.

Note: I have asked this question in the dev list. Except for the details
on strip command for ActiveMQ-CPP, I didn't get any other info. So, I
felt it may be more appropriate to this list.

Thanks & Regards,
-- Srinivas R

www.wipro.com