Posted to embperl@perl.apache.org by Lucas Sábalo <sa...@ub.edu.ar> on 2002/05/13 18:54:20 UTC

Download

Hi, I trying to download EmbPerl from ftp.dev.ecos.de but I can't connect to
the server ftp.dev.ecos.de.
Where can I download it?
Is it available on RPM for RH 7.2?
Thanks.

Lucas

Re: Download

Posted by Cameron McBride <ca...@cwru.edu>.
> Hi, I trying to download EmbPerl from ftp.dev.ecos.de but I can't connect to
> the server ftp.dev.ecos.de.
> Where can I download it?

The best way to obtain Embperl, is probably through CPAN (www.cpan.org).

The easiest way to do this from a RH installation is to use the CPAN
module of perl.  This can be done via the following:

% cpan
  OR
% perl -MCPAN -e shell

You will be asked to configure it if this is the first time running the
module (most of the defaults will work, just do what the prompts ask you
to do).

Once you get a prompt, do the following:

cpan> install Embperl

NOTE -- this will install the 2.0b7 version.  If you do not want that
version (perhaps you prefer the stable 1.3x series) then this option is
not for you.  I do not think the 1.3x series is available through CPAN.

The beauty of this installation method is it will work across platforms,
and it will allow things to be recompiled.  Sometimes binary packages
(like RPMs) make some funny choices on how things are set-up and can
make for nasty debugging sessions -- so I do not rely on them.
This is my preferred method (beyond manual install) for all perl
modules, and Embperl is a perl module.

Hope that helps.

Cameron