Posted to dev@any23.apache.org by Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/04 06:39:19 UTC

Move to Git

On 4 March 2013 10:18, Peter Ansell <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4 March 2013 10:17, Lewis John Mcgibbney <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Peter,
>> On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 3:13 AM, <de...@any23.apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> It looks good to me.
>>>
>>> From what I have read the GitHub any23 mirror
>>> https://github.com/apache/any23 should still work transparently
>>> through the read-only git://git.apache.org/any23.git repository, which
>>> will be the same repository as
>>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/any23.git . However, to write
>>> to the repository we will need to use
>>> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/any23.git (after it is enabled
>>> for writing).

The infrastructure team would like the PPMC to confirm that the Git
repository is an accurate copy of the Subversion directory.

There are quite a few non-standard directories in the Subversion
repository and we need to confirm that they do not need to be in the
Git repository.

Some of the directories have been referenced in Jira issues so far:

* /repo/ - ANY23-61
* /sandbox/ - ANY23-60
* /repo-ext/ - ANY23-56

The other directories include:

* /site/ : Does svnpubsub use this? [1]
* /wiki/ : Not sure about where this one is used.
* /committers/ : Is there another way of keeping this information around?

Once we decide what is happening to those directories we can start a
vote to formally confirm that the Git repository is an accurate copy
of the subversion directories and start using it as the main
repository.

If necessary, the website directories can be added as separate
branches in Git which never get merged with the code branches, in the
same way that on GitHub Project Pages use the "gh-pages" branch to
publish their websites [2]. Not sure about how svnpubsub would work
with that if we are using it though.

Cheers,

Peter

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/cms.html#subversion