Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Tom Arnfeld <to...@duedil.com> on 2014/06/01 19:14:52 UTC

External Containerizer / 0.19.0 / Mesos+Docker

Hey Everyone,

I’m in the process of attempting to productionize the external containerizer (well, we’re still in the mesos proof-of-concept phase but treating it as we would production) and have a couple of things I wanted to bring up. It’d be great to get some feedback from anyone working on the EC, and they’re thoughts on the below…

Note: I’m aware this is all considered alpha software, but it’s quite crucial for our deployment so i’m very keen to push it forward. :-)

1) Documentation for the EC API

This doesn’t seem to exist from what I can find, though I may be missing something. Specifically, details on the different external containerizer methods, why they exist and what function they are expected to perform. From my view, because quite a lot of state is shared between the slave and the external process (and some recovery/reconciliation happens), various examples for what should happen and when would be very useful for a user. I guess the unit tests do go so far with this.

2) Specifically relating to Mesos and Docker (Deimos + @Mesosphere)

Correct me if i’m wrong (and if there’s something un-pushed to Github) but it seems the Deimos (Docker Containerizer) has fallen behind the architecture of the EC quite significantly. I guess you’re all working on the big release you have coming up, and it’d be useful to know if any time will be dedicated to the project in the short term.

IMO Docker is realistically going the be the first mainstream use of the EC and though there are various other efforts to marry Mesos with Docker, the external containerizer is the most transparent and is designed to serve a specific purpose that can’t be achieved elsewhere. It’d be very exciting to have something in a workable state that could demonstrate the abilities of the containerizer for when 0.19.0 is released.

3) Has anyone in the community (or at Twitter) been testing out the external containerizer at any scale, and with any significant workloads? I presume not since the EC requires some kind of properly built tooling on the other end (a.k.a Deimos) to do the containerization, and i’m not aware of anything else in the community.

Looking forward to thoughts,

Tom.

--
Tom Arnfeld
Developer // DueDil

tom@duedil.com
(+44) 7525940046

25 Christopher Street, London, EC2A 2BS
Company Number: 06999618

What is DueDil? |  Product features  |  Try it for free

Re: External Containerizer / 0.19.0 / Mesos+Docker

Posted by Till Toenshoff <to...@me.com>.
Hey Tom et Al,

> I’m in the process of attempting to productionize the external containerizer (well, we’re still in the mesos proof-of-concept phase but treating it as we would production) and have a couple of things I wanted to bring up. It’d be great to get some feedback from anyone working on the EC, and they’re thoughts on the below…
> Note: I’m aware this is all considered alpha software, but it’s quite crucial for our deployment so i’m very keen to push it forward. :-)

That really is awesome and much appreciated, as always :)

I have started to work on such documentation today, the first results are on https://github.com/tillt/mesos/blob/master/docs/external-containerizer.md but I have also prepared a review-request for this at https://reviews.apache.org/r/22169/. This is still a bit work-in-progress - but a start, I hope :)

> 3) Has anyone in the community (or at Twitter) been testing out the external containerizer at any scale, and with any significant workloads? I presume not since the EC requires some kind of properly built tooling on the other end (a.k.a Deimos) to do the containerization, and i’m not aware of anything else in the community.

AFAIK there has no production scale testing been done, so far.

I have a test-containerizer in the makes that supports using the mesos-containerizer as an ECP implementation for testing purposes. That however still nags me with a nasty threading issue I need to fix before releasing full unit-tests on the EC.

Hope that helps a little,
Till

Re: External Containerizer / 0.19.0 / Mesos+Docker

Posted by Tom Arnfeld <to...@duedil.com>.
Hi Jay,

> Could you go into details on this?  Are you saying deimos doesn't work
with the latest mesos in the github.com tree?

I've been speaking to Jason the past couple of days, and Deimos has now
been brought inline with the RC External Containerizer API.

Posted by Jay Buffington <me...@jaybuff.com>.
+ solidsnack, the deimos guy.