Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Robert Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com> on 2011/04/02 14:15:17 UTC

Re: Full text search - is it coming? If yes, approx when.

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly with this view. I would go further and speculate (as I haven't kept up with Lucene features) that Lucene
is still primarily focused on lexical techniques and any real NLP functionality is done in Lucene plugins.

The core idea in FTI is easy, an inverted index. Quick and dirty search[1] is precisely the use case I had in mind. I wanted something like the "jumpTo"
functionality in Futon that would work for more than just _ids and I wanted the capability to filter the results by various fields on the documents and
have it index incrementally as updates occur. This isn't that difficult and couchdb isn't so hard to build plugins for, though one does need to grok some
of the internals. It's also kind of surprising that a database admin GUI doesn't have this simple capability.

Doing this in a way that scales to large dbs, is distributed, has all the wonderful features Lucene has acquired and so forth is a different matter.

Anyway I did this as much as an erlang learning exercise and planning to revisit it, now that I've picked up some skills,

Cheers,

Bob

[1] https://github.com/bdionne/bitstore/tree/master/src/search