Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com> on 2017/01/03 16:23:11 UTC

6.4 release

Hi,
I would like to volunteer to release 6.4. I can cut the release branch next
Monday if everybody agrees.

Jim

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Andrzej Białecki <an...@lucidworks.com>.
> On 19 Jan 2017, at 15:01, jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I updated the release notes for Solr here:
> https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote64 <https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote64>
>
> The vote is going great so we may be able to start the release tomorrow night and make the announcement on Monday.
> We still need to finalize the release notes, could you please check that it's showing the right infos.

Notes look great. Minor issues:
* the first highlights section is titled “DocValues, streaming, …” but bullet points below don’t mention anything about DocValues.
* the section about metrics, first bullet point about metrics-jvm… I think it should just say in general that it uses Dropwizard Metrics API, and the bit about JVM internals should be moved to the second bullet point.

Thank you!

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com>.
I updated the release notes for Solr here:
https://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote64

The vote is going great so we may be able to start the release tomorrow
night and make the announcement on Monday.
We still need to finalize the release notes, could you please check that
it's showing the right infos.
Thanks
Jim

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Emmanuel Keller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Thanks. It looks fine for me.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com>.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Emmanuel Keller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jim,

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com>.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com>.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
+1 to cut the 6.4 branch and build a RC next monday

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Andrzej Białecki <an...@lucidworks.com>.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Anshum Gupta <an...@anshumgupta.net>.
Thanks for volunteering Jim!

I have some stuff that I'd like to get in, but nothing that's a show
stopper.

-Anshum

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Alan Woodward <al...@flax.co.uk>.
Hi Jim,

I’d like to get LUCENE-7609, LUCENE-7610 and LUCENE-7611 in - I’ll commit them over the weekend unless anybody squawks.

Alan Woodward
www.flax.co.uk

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Joel Bernstein <jo...@gmail.com>.
I'm all done with 6.4 changes.

Joel Bernstein
http://joelsolr.blogspot.com/

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com>.
Thanks all for your answers.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
Aggregated metrics will not be in 6.4 -- that work is still in progress.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2017 at 6:57 AM, S G <sg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 for adding the metric related changes.
> Aggregated metrics from from replicas sounds like a very nice thing to have.
>
> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 12:11 PM, Varun Thacker <va...@vthacker.in> wrote:
>>
>> +1 to cut a release branch on monday. Lots of goodies in this release!
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 8:23 AM, jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I would like to volunteer to release 6.4. I can cut the release branch
>>> next Monday if everybody agrees.
>>>
>>> Jim

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by S G <sg...@gmail.com>.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Varun Thacker <va...@vthacker.in>.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.
I re-openned https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7559 -- I should
be able to fix tonight easily enough.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Mark Miller <ma...@gmail.com>.
Create a jira and someone will update it for the next release.

- Mark
about.me/markrmiller

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by S G <sg...@gmail.com>.

RE: 6.4 release

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi David,

I fixed it already, see: https://git1-us-west.apache.org/repos/asf?p=lucene-solr.git;a=commit;h=60d4a554

It was the LuceneRegexFragmenter class that caused this. Maybe it existed before, too, but the changes recently added for UnifiedHighlighter caused the trouble for eclipse.  I have no idea why, but since git pull, Eclipse complained loud for several days.

Now it is fine again,

Uwe

-----

Posted by David Smiley <da...@gmail.com>.
Hello Uwe,

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 1:56 PM Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I fixed the compile warning. The more serious issue was a problem with
> Solr and Eclipse: It did not compile anymore, because the Solr UHighlighter
> implementation was using a Java-1.0-like inner class which was not nested
> but just top-level in same source file.

Can you please clarify what this problem is?  I thought I knew but your
example doesn't match my understanding.  I don't use Eclipse so it's not
apparent to me.  UnifiedSolrHighlighter has a static inner class
SolrExtendedUnifiedHighlighter.  It is an inner class; not some other class
in the same source file.  UnifiedHighlither (in Lucene) only has inner
classes too.  Maybe you meant the class FragmentQueue in Lucene
Highlighter.java?  I dunno.

> IMHO, we should add a style check in “ant validate” to prevent this type
> of class declaration. Top-Level classes should always be in separate files
> or properly nested.

+1

~ David

RE: 6.4 release

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

http://www.thetaphi.de <http://www.thetaphi.de/>

RE: 6.4 release

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by S G <sg...@gmail.com>.
Created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-9967 as per Mark's
request.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Uwe !

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Jim,

--
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, 28357 Bremen

RE: 6.4 release

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Oh yeah,

please fix! The Jenkins failures are annoying. Is there an issue about that?

Uwe

-----

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by jim ferenczi <ji...@gmail.com>.
You can still push bug fixes Alan, I'll create the first RC tomorrow if the
all the builds are green.This will let some time for your patch to be
tested.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Alan Woodward <al...@flax.co.uk>.

Re: 6.4 release

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Alan Woodward <al...@flax.co.uk>.
Done!

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Alan, I just reverted so that this change will first be available in
6.5 and we have more time to sort details out.

I'm happy with the current state of things for getting 6.4 out now.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Alan Woodward <al...@flax.co.uk>.

Re: 6.4 release

Posted by Adrien Grand <jp...@gmail.com>.