Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Botond Orban <Bo...@epam.com> on 2004/10/04 09:55:32 UTC

XML Logger conceptual usage

Dear Ant Developers

 I'm a developer from Budapest, Hungary.

 We have tried to use the CruiseControl in our continuous integration

 process, but we run in some difficulties. We get a

 java.lang.OutOfMemoryError.

 After a few days spent near the CruiseControl I observerd, that the

 CruiseControl uses the org.apache.tools.ant.XmlLogger for formatting

 the ant output.

 The problem is that our build process is so huge, that the result

 doesn't fits in a DOM.

 I have also tried to tell to the JVM to use more memory, but it

 doesn't works.

 I thing that conceptually it is not the best idea to use the a DOM implementation for logging purposes. The log events musn't be stored in the memory for long time. (And this "long time" in our case depends how long the build takes.) They should be flushed as soon as possible.

 My question would be: Is there any change request which requests that

 the XMLLogger not to use DOM API, rather some stream?

 If there is, in which build the change will be released?

 If not then I propose this change as a change request.

PS: By the time I solved the problem, I made a workaround, but the problem is still there... :(

Waiting for your answer.

Botond Orbán
software developer

email: botond.orban@fathomtechnology.com

To talk to me interactively over the Internet I can be contacted on
MSN Messenger - orban_botond@hotmail.com

CONFIDENTIALITY CAUTION AND DISCLAIMER

This message is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity(ies) to which it is addressed and contains information that is legally privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. All un-intended recipients are obliged to delete this message and destroy any printed copies.

Re: XML Logger conceptual usage

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Botond Orban wrote:
>  My question would be: Is there any change request which requests that
>  the XMLLogger not to use DOM API, rather some stream?

Look here, maybe you can use this if it's still compatible:

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-alexandria/proposal/vindico/src/java/org/apache/alexandria/ant/Attic/XMLListener.java?hideattic=0&view=markup
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-alexandria/proposal/vindico/src/java/org/apache/alexandria/util/Attic/XMLHelper.java?hideattic=0&view=markup

             - verba volant, scripta manent -