Posted to batik-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Vincent Hardy <vi...@eng.sun.com> on 2000/11/07 21:42:16 UTC

[admin] Freeze needed for error handling changes

You may have seen in the todo.xml list that Thierry and Stephane are
up for implementing error handling. This will require modifications in
a large number of files and their feeling, which I share, is that we
will need to freeze the code so that they can operate their changes.

The justification for the freeze is that there will be many changes in
many files and it is a lot safer to pause when operating this kind of
change.
The critical pieces are GVT and the bridge. Given are new target date
of Dec. 4th, I think we should try to make this freeze next week, if
everyone is comfortable with that date.

During that freeze, I think we should go ahead a agree on a precise
time when nobody except Thierry and Stephane are going to make changes
to Batik and how long this will take.

If there are areas that you feel could still be worked on during the
freeze, I suggest to run the question by Thierry and Stephane and make
sure we agree concurrent work is possible.

Cheers.
V.

P.S: There are a couple things we need to finish first, such as
userSpaceOnUse and objectBoundingBox on gradients, mask, patterns etc,
and external references.

Re: [admin] Freeze needed for error handling changes

Posted by Vincent Hardy <vi...@eng.sun.com>.
Dean Jackson wrote:

> What's wrong with having a CVS branch that is the frozen
> version for bug fixing, while development continues
> on the "unstable" tree?

This is not for bug fixing but large scale modification to most of the
code base which we want for the first release. If we were to branch
of the base and let Thierry and Stephane work on that base, then it
would not be in the main branch where we need it most.

Furthermore, our Apache consultants (James and Stefano) said that
they try to stay away from branching, especially for the first couple
releases.

V.

Posted by Dean Jackson <de...@w3.org>.