Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Paul J Deitel <pa...@deitel.net> on 2001/03/08 19:47:38 UTC

Question regarding the JSP include action versus the JSP include directive

It is my understanding that the include directive is processed at page
translation time and the jsp:include action is processed at request time.
However, I seem to get the same functionality from both.

I have a simple JSP that creates a java.util.Date object. I tried both forms
of include expecting that the directive form would result in date and time
at which the page was first translated and that the action form would
provide the date and time of each request.

Does tomcat 3.2.1 handle both include forms identically? Or am I doing
something wrong?

Thanks,

Paul

Re: Question regarding the JSP include action versus the JSP include directive

Posted by Fernando Padilla <fe...@interdimensions.com>.
the include directive is at page translation, but it's the page source...

in pseudo jsp :)

A:
HI<getDate()>

B:
HI<getDate()>

C:
<include A>
<jsp:include B>

C becomes:
HI<getDate()>
requestdispatcher( B ).include()

and that is what is executed..
thus both getDate() calls are made are request time..

fern