Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Stephan Fletcher <sf...@bohrensmoving.com> on 2014/01/23 15:57:28 UTC

Deny Put & Delete

Can anyone tell me how to fix the following in my Tomcat config. I'm using Apache Tomcat 7.0.30 and I'm failing on the following PCI Security scans.

1.     Title: Web server allows PUT: /

Impact: An attacker may be able to upload files onto the web server.

Data Received: Allow: GET, HEAD, POST, PUT, DELETE, OPTIONS

Resolution: Configure the web server not to accept PUT requests. If you require the functionality of PUT for web publishing, use a put script which can only be run by authorized users, which ensures that the script can update only web content files, and which ensures that users can only update their own pages

2.     Title: Web server allows HTTP method DELETE

Impact: The HTTP DELETE method may allow an attacker to delete arbitrary content from the Web Server.

Data Received: Allow: GET, HEAD, POST, PUT, DELETE, OPTIONS

Resolution: Disable the DELETE method in the Web Server configuration. If this is not an option, use one of the following workarounds:

Apache: Disable the DELETE method by including the following in the Apache configuration:

&lt;Limit DELETE&gt; Order Deny, Allow Deny from All& lt;/Limit&gt;

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Stephan Fletcher
Manager of Information Services
Bohren's Moving & Storage
Docusafe Records Management
3 Applegate Drive South
Robbinsville, NJ 08691
O: 609.208.1470
F: 609.208.1471
W: www.bohrensmoving.com<http://www.bohrensmoving.com/>
W: www.docusafe.com<http://www.docusafe.com/>

________________________________

Important Notice: This email is copyright of Bohrensmoving.com, and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

addressed. This footnote also confirms that this email message has been
swept for the presence of computer viruses.

Re: Deny Put & Delete

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Stephan,

On 1/23/14, 9:57 AM, Stephan Fletcher wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how to fix the following in my Tomcat config.
> I'm using Apache Tomcat 7.0.30 and I'm failing on the following PCI
> Security scans.
>

> 1.     Title: Web server allows PUT: /
>
> Impact: An attacker may be able to upload files onto the web
> server.
>
> Data Received: Allow: GET, HEAD, POST, PUT, DELETE, OPTIONS
>
> Resolution: Configure the web server not to accept PUT requests. If
> you require the functionality of PUT for web publishing, use a put
> script which can only be run by authorized users, which ensures
> that the script can update only web content files, and which
> ensures that users can only update their own pages
>

> 2.     Title: Web server allows HTTP method DELETE
>
> Impact: The HTTP DELETE method may allow an attacker to delete
> arbitrary content from the Web Server.
>
> Data Received: Allow: GET, HEAD, POST, PUT, DELETE, OPTIONS
>
> Resolution: Disable the DELETE method in the Web Server
> configuration. If this is not an option, use one of the following
> workarounds:
>
> Apache: Disable the DELETE method by including the following in the
> Apache configuration:
>
> &lt;Limit DELETE&gt; Order Deny, Allow Deny from All&
> lt;/Limit&gt;
>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated

IIRC, Tomcat-compiled JSP scripts used to respond to every kind of
HTTP verb, including things that weren't standard at all (like
HELLO!). I believe that was fixed a while back -- not sure when... I
can't seem to find anything in the change log for Tomcat 7, so maybe
that was a long long time ago.

I just tried OPTIONS on 7.0.47 to a random JSP and it responded by
actually running the JSP in standard "GET"-style mode. Actually... I
ran it like this:

$ openssl s_client -connect myhost:443
HELLO /path/test.jsp HTTP/1.1
Connection: close
Host: myhost
[CRLF]

... and my JSP ran. That's a little surprising but definitely not
dangerous. PUT and DELETE do the same thing: just run the JSP as usual.

Mark's response is probably the more accurate: your vulnerability
scanner is just too lazy to find an actual vulnerability but just
reports that you are insecure because of a zero-research response it
got to a single request.

- -chris

Re: Deny Put & Delete

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Stephan Fletcher wrote:
> It's a third party that is running the scan.

On this list, please do not top-post.

Maybe another response :

There are regular reports on this list of similar "security scanners" which find what they
deem to be "security vulnerabilities".  Consult the list archives for more info.
It turns out that in about 99% of the cases, the problem is with the security scanner
software, and not with any real vulnerability in Tomcat.

That explains the kind of responses that you have seen so far.
Such reports mostly cause a lot of worries and jumping around, to end up generally with
nothing to really worry about, apart from time lost for everyone.
That's why people get jumpy at such posts.

If you are in the middle, there is not much you can do about it, except be confident
enough to tell the originators of the report to please check their data, and explain why
they think that there is a security issue.
If it turns out that there is a real security issue, explained in more detail than just
claiming that there is one, it will be tackled with urgency by the Tomcat developers.

Re: Deny Put & Delete

Posted by Vicky B <vi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks neven,mark

--

*Thanks & Regards Vickyb*

Re: Deny Put & Delete

Posted by Neven Cvetkovic <ne...@gmail.com>.

Re: Deny Put & Delete

Posted by Mark Eggers <it...@yahoo.com>.
On 1/25/2014 9:32 PM, Vicky B wrote:
> if I have a privilege to ask a question on this topic if can anyone help me
> on how an user fire a put request or delete request ( I am not a hacker)
> .All my life I just used post and get I never thought about these put and
> delete, so if someone helps I would appreciate
>

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Johan Compagner <jc...@servoy.com>wrote:
>

>>> I've dealt with similar nonsensical "compliance scans" before, and
>>> my response was:
>>>
>>> "You believe you can PUT or DELETE files on this installation?"
>>>
>>> ** makes popcorn **
>>>
>>> "Please proceed. I'll sit here and watch. Take your time."
>>>
>>> Morons. Bane of productive peoples' existence.
>>>
>>> Also, a special place in hell for the writers of these "scanners"...
>>> </rant>
>>> --
>>>

>> Maybe even more stupid with this scanner could be that it only test for the
>> options request to see what it returns but does not do an actual test of it
>> really works?
>> Maybe i can have a server that only replies that it accepts a "GET" but
>> when i actually do fire a PUT or a DELETE the code does do something...
>>
>> johan

1. install curl
2. man curl

Curl exists for Windows as well.

/mde/

Re: Deny Put & Delete

Posted by Vicky B <vi...@gmail.com>.

--

*Thanks & Regards Vickyb*

Re: Deny Put & Delete

Posted by Johan Compagner <jc...@servoy.com>.

Re: Deny Put & Delete

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Deny Put & Delete

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.

http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan

Re: Deny Put & Delete

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Stephan,

On 1/23/14, 10:09 AM, Stephan Fletcher wrote:
> It's a third party that is running the scan.

Then *they* need to verify that the problem is a false-positive (or
not.. it's certainly possible that your are open to a "DELETE /"
attack, but probably not.

- -chris

RE: Deny Put & Delete

Posted by Stephan Fletcher <sf...@bohrensmoving.com>.