Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/09 00:21:37 UTC

[VOTE] Merge DistributedLog as the subproject of Apache BookKeeper

( /cc bookkeeper dev@ and incubator general@ for awareness )

Hi all,

There was a joint discussion between BookKeeper PMC and DistributedLog PPMC
about moving the development of DistributedLog as part of Apache
BookKeeper. The reasons behind it are:

First, DistributedLog is born as an extension to BookKeeper, to offer
continuous log streams as the service. The ledger API in bookkeeper is a
lower level API and has learning curves, while the log stream API in
distributedlog is a higher level API that simplifies the usage. The
combination of ledger API and stream API would offer a better
developer/user experience for applications.

Secondly, using ledgers to build continuous (re-openable) log stream is a
very common pattern for BookKeeper use cases. We did this for HDFS namenode
journal, for Hedwig, for DistributedLog, and for Pulsar. The same pattern
has been implemented again and again. Merge DistributedLog (also
ManagedLedger in Pulsar) with BookKeeper will consolidate all the
development efforts around this common 'log stream' pattern.

Thirdly, the 'log' stream abstraction is a good abstraction for both
messaging and streaming. Internally at BookKeeper, there are a few places
that can use such 'messaging' facility to improve bookkeeper itself. the
log stream in DistributedLog can be used internally at bookkeeper for
streaming changes as well.

We choose merging DistributedLog as subproject rather than modules. It is a
softer starting point to avoid disrupting the folks who are depending on
the ledger api alone. The BookKeeper PMC and DistributedLog PPMC has
achieved initial consensus on this merge. There is an official VOTE ongoing
in bookkeeper PMC. We'd like to bring this to the distributedlog community
for a community vote following the guidelines here
<http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#subproject>.

Please vote +1 if in favor of merging DistributedLog to BookKeeper, and -1
if not. The vote will be open until Tuesday 13rd June, 18:00 PST.

- Sijie

Re: [VOTE] Merge DistributedLog as the subproject of Apache BookKeeper

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
/cc (dev@bookkeeper.apache.org and dev@pulsar.incubator.apache.org)

Closed the vote. The vote passed with 10 +1 and no -1.

The 10 +1 includes 3 +1 (binding) and 7 +1 (non-binding)

3 +1 (binding):

- Franck Cuny
- Leigh Stewart
- Sijie Guo

7 +1 (non-binding)

- Edward Ribeiro
- Gerrit Sundaram
- Jia Zhai
- Jon Derrick
- Stevo Slavic
- Xi Liu
- Uma Gangumalla

Thanks,
Sijie

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

I am adding the Pulsar Dev list so that podling can be certainly aware. (I know that there are BookKeeper dev involved in Pulsar.

Please drop general@ off for any further discussions from the Pulsar side.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 8:50 PM Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 5:47 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 8:44 PM Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Sure.
> > >
> > > The discussion email thread between BookKeeper PMC and DistributedLog
> > PPMC:
> > >
> > > https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/
> > bookkeeper-private/201706.mbox/%3CCAO2yDyZu+R1EaePyHZuFxe_W0qAkHNYxNnmn5+
> > zX6q520uzJKw@mail.gmail.com%3E
> > >
> > > The BookKeeper PMC VOTE email thread (it is still ongoing):
> > >
> > > https://mail-search.apache.org/pmc/private-arch/
> > bookkeeper-private/201706.mbox/%3CCAO2yDyacdXuXh==iw1OqrRiuGoxHprP_
> > HtnOFojOT5RXMv6rEQ@mail.gmail.com%3E
> > >
> > > As our mentor suggested, I am following the process here :
> > > http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#subproject
> > > This is the community vote for the first step. Let me know if I missed
> > > anything.
> > >

> > You mean this is the vote on the PPMC?  If so please drop general@.
> >

> Yeah, it is the vote on the PPMC. The document is saying to copy the vote
> to incubator general list when the VOTE is proposed.
>
> I will drop general@ then.

Fair enough, we can fix the guide.  Most other places we recommend
forwarding the vote to let us know, its mostly "let us know you're planning
to do this"

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Sure.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Sure.

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
Sure.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Sije,

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
Sije,

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

Posted by Franck Cuny <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1 for subproject.

--
-franck

Re: [VOTE] Merge DistributedLog as the subproject of Apache BookKeeper

Posted by Franck Cuny <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1 for subproject.

--
-franck

Re: [VOTE] Merge DistributedLog as the subproject of Apache BookKeeper

Posted by Franck Cuny <fr...@gmail.com>.
+1 for subproject.

--
-franck

Re: [VOTE] Merge DistributedLog as the subproject of Apache BookKeeper

Posted by Leigh Stewart <ls...@twitter.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Leigh Stewart <ls...@twitter.com.INVALID>.
+1

Posted by Uma gangumalla <um...@apache.org>.
+1 (binding)

Regards,
Uma

Posted by Henry Saputra <he...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

- Sijie

Posted by Sijie Guo <gu...@gmail.com>.
+1 (binding)

Posted by Jon Derrick <jo...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

--
- jderrick

Re: [VOTE] Merge DistributedLog as the subproject of Apache BookKeeper

Posted by Gerrit Sundaram <ge...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Posted by Xi Liu <xi...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)