Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by DeAngelo Lampkin <de...@gmail.com> on 2008/10/16 07:12:49 UTC

Advice needed: Integrating an External Webapp with OfBiz Order Application service layer via RMI...

Hello all!

I'll get right to it.

Scenario:
1) I have a pre-built, no-ofbiz webapp built using a separate MVC framework
(Spring, struts, etc)
2)  This app needs an ecommerce solutio.  So in this non-ofbiz webapp, a
user can add a bunch of items to a shopping cart , and click "buy" and have
ofbiz handle the rest.  Now, the products may be added to OFBiz using one of
the out-of-the-box applications,  but the user should browse the product
catalog and buy shopping cart items from the external webapp.

Ideal solution:
1) Expose ofbiz's out-of-box order processing application via
RMI/SOAP/some-other-remoting-technology .  Essentially I want to staple
ofbiz's shopping cart and order processing parts onto the side of this other
application. Another user described a similiar scenario in another post:
http://www.nabble.com/using-ofbiz-as-an-authentication-store-for-a-webapp--to15424697.html#a15442073.

I've semi-disqualified SOAP at this point.  Since OfBiz integrates with Axis
at an API level, this would require me to go in and modify a number of OfBiz
classes so that they emit proper XML (for WSDLs and whatnot) since only
simple types are support out of box  Feels like a less that optimal
approach.

So now, I'm looking into RMI, but I want to make sure I'm doing  things in a
way that makes sense and that lines up with any current de facto Best
Practices.

Right now, I'm thinking of:
 (a) going into the services xml files under the "order" application and
 (b) then exposing order and shopping cart services by setting
"export=true".

Is this approach workable?  Anyone have any experience or sample code for
doing this?

Another theorhetical approach would be to essentially include all the ofbiz
jar files inside my WEB-INF/lib directory and then just import the necessary
ofbiz classes into my webapp classes.  Now I know this *specific* approach
is not compatible with OFBiz since OFBiz expects a certain directory
structure, but I was wondering if the *concept* of "embedding" ofbiz
application in a "standard" webapp in some manner is (a) possible and (b)
exactly how should one approach it?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
-DeAngelo Lampkin

Re: Advice needed: Integrating an External Webapp with OfBiz Order Application service layer via RMI...

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David Legg wrote:
> Some people have sounded surprised that people would even consider not
> using the built-in ecommerce web app.  Whilst I think the OfBiz
> framework is very elegant you can't expect everyone to drop their
> existing frameworks just to display a product list and a shopping basket!

I think you're mis-interpreting what was said. Raj said you can create
your own eCommerce web application if you don't like the default.

As far as I know, very few people use the eCommerce application as-is in
production. Most developers use the existing eCommerce application as a
*guide* to design their own.

As far as dropping existing frameworks is concerned, some have found it
easier to drop their existing framework and port their data over to
OFBiz, rather than kludge together OFBiz with some other framework.

-Adrian

Re: Advice needed: Integrating an External Webapp with OfBiz Order Application service layer via RMI...

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Ok terminology.
ofbiz Framework is the components under the framework folder.
Application are under the Application folder.

Unless you bringing more functionality to ofbiz by your code, you might
consider using the ecommerce, since you can have many, from one ofbiz if
it is the company that runs them.

and if you have some presentation different than the handlers in ofbiz
now, then you can look at creating a handler for you presentation layer.

But what could be simpler than just making some CSS changes to have the
 ecommerce side look like anything you want.

you can also implement your presentation on the httpd, PHP, and use a
connector (ajp) between the httpd and ofbiz.

David Legg sent the following on 10/17/2008 2:07 AM:

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
> Actually, I'd like to use a single OfBiz installation as the backend
> to two web sites with a common set of products but slightly different
> catalogues (English spelling... sorry ;-) ).
It should be possible to achieve this even with the inbuilt e-commerce
application. You can create as many as site you want. You can share the
same catalog in multiple sites or separate catalog for each site. Or you
can use same set of products or different product in each catalog. Each
catalog can have same set of categories or or different categories.

Thanks,

Raj

Posted by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk>.
Hi BJ,

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
let me expand on that.
Backend:
catalog is used to display the products.
content is used to display forums and blogs.
Promos is generated by the catalog to be diplayed.
reviews are from the content application.
configurable products use the catalog and manufacturing.
Cart is in the order application.
Login ability and info about the customer is in the Party application.
the login code is in the framework.
So you see there is not much in the ecommerce but a shell to display all
this info from other applications and the framework.

BJ Freeman sent the following on 10/16/2008 5:03 PM:

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

Posted by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk>.
Hi BJ,

> there are RMI examples in ofbiz that if one spent the time could come up
> with an RMI connector so another Web App or even an other cart could
> access the Backend.

That sounds promising.  I'll take a closer look.  I think I can see what
you are talking about in svn.

Some people have sounded surprised that people would even consider not
using the built-in ecommerce web app.  Whilst I think the OfBiz
framework is very elegant you can't expect everyone to drop their
existing frameworks just to display a product list and a shopping basket!

> ofbiz was designed so the back end could have other application layered
> on it.
> However theres is not active participation, at this, time to have such
> connectors done.

I fully understand.

The idea of using RMI to connect a storefront with OfBiz is no different
to sites which get their content from remote CMS repositories.

Regards,
David Legg

Re: Advice needed: Integrating an External Webapp with OfBiz Order Application service layer via RMI...

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
The concept is that ofbiz is the backend and the store front(ecommerce)
is just an application that uses the framework.
Ofbiz is not Ecommerce, though it has an application that supports
Ecommerce.
So yes the Ecommerce depends on the backend.
there are RMI examples in ofbiz that if one spent the time could come up
with an RMI connector so another Web App or even an other cart could
access the Backend.
ofbiz was designed so the back end could have other application layered
on it.
However theres is not active participation, at this, time to have such
connectors done.

David Legg sent the following on 10/16/2008 2:28 AM:

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@hlmksw.com>.
David Legg wrote:
> To me the ideal solution would be to have a library of POJOs that
> implement a storefront and a shopping basket API and use spring
> configuration to establish settings like where the database is.  Then I
> could incorporate those beans in a JSP page or a Cocoon pipeline or a
> Struts app as appropriate.  I think it is the distributed nature of the
> configuration which is a stumbling block at the moment.

I think your view on this subject may change after spending some time
with OFBiz. Not everyone will agree that the solution you describe is ideal.

Cobbling together a bunch of libraries might seem like a cool idea, but
it will take a lot more work to set up and maintain. The OFBiz framework
is designed to get you up and running quickly.

I've been working with OFBiz for four years, and I shudder to think of
using POJOs, beans, or (yuck) JSPs to build a website. The combination
of OFBiz screen widgets, Groovy scripts, FreeMarker templates, and the
OFBiz mini-language is far easier to use.

-Adrian

Re: Advice needed: Integrating an External Webapp with OfBiz Order Application service layer via RMI...

Posted by DeAngelo Lampkin <de...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 4:26 AM, David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk>wrote:

> Hi Raj,
>
>  ...what exactly you mean by clearly separate store front? To me it looks
>> clearly separate as you can create your own web application and have your
>> e-commerce store front as you want without keeping any thing from the
>> default technologies.
>>

> I don't wish to hijack DeAngelo's thread but...

By all means, hijack away!  The more conversation the better.

-DeAngelo

Re: Advice needed: Integrating an External Webapp with OfBiz Order Application service layer via RMI...

Posted by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk>.
Peter Sparkes wrote:
> I too - have my own preferred web framework (Cocoon) into which I
> would like to bolt on an estore.

Hi Peter,

I have a plan... ;-)

After all the pleas from the OfBiz community, I have seen the error of
my ways and decided to install OfBiz complete with the ecommerce app.

I think I can set things up under Tomcat such that Cocoon is the default
webapp and OfBiz has a context path like '/estore'.  This way, Cocoon's
servlet will receive all HTTP requests unless they start with '/estore'
in which case the reuest will be passed by Tomcat to OfBiz.  I'm
assuming this can be done because the Tomcat spec [1] says: -

    "The web application used to process each HTTP request is selected
    by Catalina based on matching the longest possible prefix of the
    Request URI against the /context path/ of each defined Context."

This sounds like the best compromise for me.  I get to only require one
SSL certificate to protect ALL my webapps in the same domain and all my
normal (non-commerce) content is served by my content management system
(CMS) running under Cocoon.

Regards,
David Legg

[1] http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/context.html

Re: Advice needed: Integrating an External Webapp with OfBiz Order Application service layer via RMI...

Posted by Peter Sparkes <pe...@didm.co.uk>.
Hi,

I too - have my own preferred web framework (Cocoon) into which I would
like to bolt on an estore.

Regards

Peter Sparkes

Posted by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk>.
Hi Raj,

> If your application runs in another container/server and it is Java,
> RMI is the way to go.

I'll have a look... thanks.

David Legg.

Re: Advice needed: Integrating an External Webapp with OfBiz Order Application service layer via RMI...

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
David Legg wrote:
> Hi Raj,
>
>> ...what exactly you mean by clearly separate store front? To me it
>> looks clearly separate as you can create your own web application and
>> have your e-commerce store front as you want without keeping any
>> thing from the default technologies.
>
> I don't wish to hijack DeAngelo's thread but... like him, I have my
> own preferred web framework (Cocoon) into which I would like to bolt
> on an estore.  However, I'd rather not end up with a Frankenstein
> monster with a big bolt holding it all together!  I'm taking great
> pains to ensure that the look and feel of the site is managed in one
> place.  If I bolt OfBiz on the side I will have to keep two sets of
> templates in sync with each other.
>
> To me the ideal solution would be to have a library of POJOs that
> implement a storefront and a shopping basket API and use spring
> configuration to establish settings like where the database is.  Then
> I could incorporate those beans in a JSP page or a Cocoon pipeline or
> a Struts app as appropriate.  I think it is the distributed nature of
> the configuration which is a stumbling block at the moment.

If you want to run your application within the OFBiz container , you can
have a look at various event handlers configured in the e-commerce
controller.xml. There are event handlers for Java, SOAP etc. Thought I
have not tried, you can write your own event handler to handle the
Cocoon request pipeline. However, please note that this will need you to
write all the logic you find out of the box in the ecommerce component.

If your application runs in another container/server and it is Java, RMI
is the way to go. You can still use the service framework and reuse most
of the services of OFBiz. My suggestion is to create facade RMI services
instead of modifying the exiting one.

Thanks,

Raj

Re: Advice needed: Integrating an External Webapp with OfBiz Order Application service layer via RMI...

Posted by David Legg <da...@searchevent.co.uk>.
Hi Raj,

> ...what exactly you mean by clearly separate store front? To me it
> looks clearly separate as you can create your own web application and
> have your e-commerce store front as you want without keeping any thing
> from the default technologies.

I don't wish to hijack DeAngelo's thread but... like him, I have my own

Posted by "Vince M. Clark" <vc...@globalera.com>.
I would appreciate that very much. Please send to my email address.

Thanks!

Posted by Raj Saini <ra...@gmail.com>.
Vince,

Posted by "Vince M. Clark" <vc...@globalera.com>.