Posted to dev@cayenne.apache.org by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> on 2017/10/08 03:29:25 UTC

Re: New Cayenne website design

On 30/9/17 9:40PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
> Other than the logo debate, everybody seems to like the design, so I guess we proceed with it.

I made a bunch of more specific comments inside invision, some of which Evgeny has responded to. I think it would be worth going a few more rounds of comments and adjustments since I think there are still some structural issues like navigation, colour and accessibility which are really important. But overall it is going in the right direction!

Ari

--
-------------------------->
Aristedes Maniatis

Re: New Cayenne website design

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
Another one suggested by a colleague: "Your ORM superpower".

I kinda like it compared to other options. It is non-confrontational and to the point :)

Andrus

Posted by Lon Varscsak <lo...@gmail.com>.
"pretentious and judgmental" is my middle name! ;)

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> Possible tagline: "A data oriented Java ORM that people love"

This is actually a good one. I'd use it when we get tired of the current "superpower" tagline :)

Andrus

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
Sure, but then I have to specifically type "site:cayenne.apache.org" in
addition to my search terms.  It is just a user-convenience.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> Just a little thing (unrelated to website design), the 3.1.2 is out since a while, but the release notes says that is not yet released

Yeah, that's an artifact of the release process workflow. When we create a Git tag, we don't yet know the official release date which would happen a week or two in the future. Of course the date eventually added to the branch: https://github.com/apache/cayenne/blob/STABLE-3.1/docs/doc/src/main/resources/RELEASE-NOTES.txt . Other branches have the same issue.

I guess we can use the tag date as the release date in the RELEASE-NOTES and add this step to the release guide (?)

Andrus

Posted by Amedeo Mantica <am...@me.com>.
really cool!

Congrats

Posted by Malcolm Edgar <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nikita Timofeev <nt...@objectstyle.com>.

--
Best regards,
Nikita Timofeev

Re: New Cayenne website design

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
Finally built/ran the new web site design.  I really like the overall look
and functionality except for...

At the top is a dark bar with "Apache Software Foundation v / Apache
Cayenne" and then immediately below it in the red bar is "APACHE CAYENNE".
Seems a bit redundant to me.  Can we fold the Apache branding into the red
bar and then get rid of the redundant "Apache Cayenne" text?  The dark bar
is taking up a lot of space without adding a lot of value.

Also, under the key features, if you click on a topic, such as "Extension
API", it doesn't update the browser's URL, but hovering over it does show a
"#extension-api" link.  However, if you right-click it and open in a new
tab/window, it doesn't take you to the extension API even though the URL
has the anchor segment.

mrg

Re: New Cayenne website design

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Also anyone remembers, did we come up with a better slogan to replace "ORM
> with character"?

"Persist your world"?

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

> On Dec 27, 2017, at 9:32 PM, Hugi Thordarson <hu...@karlmenn.is> wrote:
>
> "An ORM that won't make you regret your life decisions"? I believe the Hibernate crowd might relate.

Haha, love this.

A.

Re: New Cayenne website design

Posted by Hugi Thordarson <hu...@karlmenn.is>.
"An ORM that won't make you regret your life decisions"? I believe the Hibernate crowd might relate.

- hugi

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Nikita Timofeev <nt...@objectstyle.com>.
1. Yep, I don't like this license either. Will hack a way to drop it from web.

2. Docs are ordered by "weight" parameter in the front matter part of the page.
The minor problem is that front matter inserted on the Cayenne side,
thus this can be edited once I'll push Asciidocs.

3. This is totally possible, need to modify templates and docs a little.

4. Can't say anything, I'm ok with the current structure (most
probably I just used to it :))

5. I have all 4.1 docs ready (4.0 and 3.1 are on their way) and can
push it, I have standalone HTML generation that we can use on current
site if required.

--
Best regards,
Nikita Timofeev

Re: New Cayenne website design

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Nikita Timofeev <nt...@objectstyle.com>.
Hi all,

Here is a GItHub repo [1] with new site demo, it already has pretty
much final design. Everyone can clone and test it locally, see README
for technical description.
What's inside: docs converted to asciidoc (not yet pushed to Cayenne
master), site build with Maven + Gulp + Hugo (but only Maven should be
installed, other parts are automated).

Everyone are welcome to try it and discuss.
Once we are happy with main features we can finalize content and push
this into apache repo.

[1] https://github.com/stariy95/cayenne-website-demo

On Mon, Nov 13, 2017 at 3:16 PM, Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org> wrote:
> Here ys a more realistic 3D logo (at the same location) :
>
> https://projects.invisionapp.com/share/QPDY76KB9
>
> Andrus
>
>> On Oct 20, 2017, at 5:08 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 17/10/17 4:17AM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>>> Here is another version of the logo: https://invis.io/QPDY76KB9
>>>
>>> As you see there are two flavors - a small monochrome (white) logo and a bigger 3D logo. I certainly like both better than the initial version. I wonder how well the 3D logo will look like as a Modeler desktop icon. Zhenya, the designer, is on vacation now, so we won't know for a few weeks.
>>
>> These are a great step forward. I think the visual illusion of the frame turning into a finished skin would be enhanced by the skin being smaller so it doesn't feel like a glove. Here's a quick hacky demonstration that needs more tidy up.
>>
>>    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bw5wY__nj_W9NTVkQm9rTk5Fbms?usp=sharing
>>
>> It might be interesting to see the top end of the fruit being even more realistic with a slight shine, then it progresses from wireframe to flat colour to realistic. Again, I only spent 10 minutes on this, so I know it needs to be done much better, but look at logo-realistic.png in that same share.
>>

>> Ari
>>

>> --
>> -------------------------->
>> Aristedes Maniatis

Best regards,
Nikita Timofeev

Re: New Cayenne website design

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Posted by Michael Gentry <bl...@gmail.com>.
I like them. The 3D one looks sweet.  However, if you want to put the new
logo (3D) in either the CM desktop or even the monochrome logo in
favicon.ico, it would be best to have a 2nd version that is rotated to fit
better in a square shape.  Alternatively, I suppose, just have one version
that fits in a square shape, but that might not look as good in web pages.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.

Posted by Robert Zeigler <ro...@roxanemy.com>.
It’s been awhile since I’ve used Java. :) But one thing Cayenne always shined at was making it simple to escape the ORM abstraction and move directly to the Db layer, but doing it in a way that was still clean. For instance, SQLTemplate queries. SQLTemplate queries saved my applications' performance on multiple occasions with large data sets and complex traversals. I suppose today I might try to use EJBQLQuery, but it’s nice to have SQLTemplate in my back pocket. I know Hibernate allows you to execute direct queries, but the lack of ideas such as DbEntity and SQLTemplate always made direct escapes to SQL via hibernate ugly.

Robert

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> On Oct 9, 2017, at 10:24 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> wrote:
>
> * ease of use
> * flexibility for different DAO ideas and abstractions
> * escape the rigid box of JPA
> * modeler

* third-party dependency free (since 4.1 there's only SLF4J dependency).

Andrus

Re: New Cayenne website design

Posted by Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org>.

Posted by Andrus Adamchik <an...@objectstyle.org>.
> On Oct 8, 2017, at 6:29 AM, Aristedes Maniatis <ar...@maniatis.org> wrote:
>
> On 30/9/17 9:40PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
>> Other than the logo debate, everybody seems to like the design, so I guess we proceed with it.
>
> I made a bunch of more specific comments inside invision, some of which Evgeny has responded to. I think it would be worth going a few more rounds of comments and adjustments since I think there are still some structural issues like navigation, colour and accessibility which are really important. But overall it is going in the right direction!

re: comment #1 - "ORM with character"

Maybe I am not looking at it from the user perspective, but I think "ORM with character" is a good slogan. All Java ORMs out there are essentially the same. They are descendants of the J2EE and Hibernate philosophy and are constrained by the JPA spec. Cayenne came from the different background and has a different approach to modeling and using persistence. We are unrestricted in our API experimentation.

So maybe "character" is too scary to the end users and we can find a better word, but I wanted to explicitly underscore this distinctness.

Any other suggestions?

Andrus