Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Matthew Smith <ch...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/22 12:52:02 UTC

a little help sorting things out

I'm not very good with svn and have just inherited an app using it for
version control. Currently we are migrating an application from one server
to another and I need to sync the code from the current server back to the
repository, then deploy it on the new server. The last person in charge of
the repository has created several tags, with different directories on the
current server pointing to different tags.

Here's the results of "svn info" on the different directories on the
current/live server:

(application root)

(application root)/src
(server)/(app)/tags/mr-04-17-08/src

(application root)/bin
(server)/(app)/tags/mr-04-17-08/bin

(application root)/templates
(server)/(app)/tags/production/templates

So basically I want to commit the production server code to the mr-04-17-08
tag, then copy it over to the production tag, then deploy on the new server.

I am just concerned about where the code will get committed to because the
different subdirectories point to different places on the repository. How do
I make sure that the code gets committed to the mr-04-17-08 tag?

Thanks.

Re: a little help sorting things out

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jul 22, 2008, at 07:52, Matthew Smith wrote:

> I'm not very good with svn and have just inherited an app using it
> for version control. Currently we are migrating an application from
> one server to another and I need to sync the code from the current
> server back to the repository, then deploy it on the new server.
> The last person in charge of the repository has created several
> tags, with different directories on the current server pointing to
> different tags.
>
> Here's the results of "svn info" on the different directories on
> the current/live server:
>
> (application root)
>
> (application root)/src
> (server)/(app)/tags/mr-04-17-08/src
>
> (application root)/bin
> (server)/(app)/tags/mr-04-17-08/bin
>
> (application root)/templates
> (server)/(app)/tags/production/templates
>
> So basically I want to commit the production server code to the
> mr-04-17-08 tag, then copy it over to the production tag, then
> deploy on the new server.
>
> I am just concerned about where the code will get committed to
> because the different subdirectories point to different places on
> the repository. How do I make sure that the code gets committed to
> the mr-04-17-08 tag?

By convention, you should not commit anything to any tag. Tags are
supposed to be immutable. Subversion does not enforce this by default
(though a repository administrator could write a script to enforce
it); rather, the users of a repository understand that a tag is meant
to be a snapshot in time, never to be changed.

You should read and understand the Subversion Book before attempting
to make any changes to your application's deployment. You should also
spend some time talking with the last person in charge of this
installation to discover why the different folders point to parts of
different tags. No one here is going to be able to guess why that was
done.

http://svnbook.org/