Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com> on 2007/06/05 14:45:44 UTC

[OT] RE: Java-Ecommerce

[Marked off-topic because this has nothing at all to do with Tomcat]

> From: Asare Samuel [mailto:s_asare@yahoo.co.uk]
> I am trying to create using a small sales tool like that of
> amazon(ie shopping cart, checkout).

There are many of these around already.  You will pay less to buy a
license to an existing tool than you will in time to create your own -
don't reinvent the wheel.

>   1)Just wondered if there is already a interface for this already.

Many.  Search for "java shopping cart" on Google.

>   2)Also how do i go about creating the actual money
> transactions? Do I use paypall.

Again, there are many options, depending on transaction volume, size,
security, what methods of payment you want your users to be able to
use... most of the commercial carts integrate with several different
payment providers, or search for "payment provider" on Google.  I've
used WorldPay most recently; this is not an endorsement, merely a note.

>   3)How do you prevent double purchasing-eg one product in
> stock-user1 is the first to put it in cart but continues to
> shop. User2 comes along and puts same product in cart but
> goes to checkout quicker.
>
>   I know you could edit the stock level as soon as a product
> is added to a cart. But really technically the product is not
> sold until confirmation in checkout. And the user may not even buy.

Sorry, you're trying to have your cake and eat it here.  EITHER you're
optimistic and let both users put the product in their cart (but allow
double-purchasing) OR you're pessimistic and only let one user put the
product in their cart (and accept that in low-stock situations you won't
get some sales).  There's no way of doing both - about the best you can
do is keep separate "stock level" and "quantity in carts" levels.  But
this is irrelevant, because you really, really don't want the pain of
maintaining your own solution; you want to buy someone else's solution.
Honest.  It'll save money, time and pain in the long run.

		- Peter

Re: [OT] RE: Java-Ecommerce

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Good Call!

There are a couple of  ways to persist customer information such as writing
customer info to cookies, serialisation or writing to DB
My personal favorite is SSB so I suggest ensuring your selected Shopping
Cart System supports Stateful Session Beans
http://java.sun.com/blueprints/guidelines/designing_enterprise_applications/ejb_tier/session_beans/index.html

sounds like a fun project..please keep us apprised of your progress
Martin--

Re: [OT] RE: Java-Ecommerce

Posted by James McIntosh <ja...@snaphire.com>.
My recommendation is www.konacart.com for a open-source java ecommerce
because it is based on OS-commerce

Re: [OT] RE: Java-Ecommerce

Posted by Asare Samuel <s_...@yahoo.co.uk>.
Thanks peter and all those that replied. I think I will take peter's advice and find a tool rather than reinvent the wheel. Thanks

Peter Crowther <Pe...@melandra.com> wrote:  [Marked off-topic because this has nothing at all to do with Tomcat]

> From: Asare Samuel [mailto:s_asare@yahoo.co.uk]
> I am trying to create using a small sales tool like that of
> amazon(ie shopping cart, checkout).

There are many of these around already. You will pay less to buy a
license to an existing tool than you will in time to create your own -
don't reinvent the wheel.

> 1)Just wondered if there is already a interface for this already.

Many. Search for "java shopping cart" on Google.

> 2)Also how do i go about creating the actual money
> transactions? Do I use paypall.

Again, there are many options, depending on transaction volume, size,
security, what methods of payment you want your users to be able to
use... most of the commercial carts integrate with several different
payment providers, or search for "payment provider" on Google. I've
used WorldPay most recently; this is not an endorsement, merely a note.

> 3)How do you prevent double purchasing-eg one product in
> stock-user1 is the first to put it in cart but continues to
> shop. User2 comes along and puts same product in cart but
> goes to checkout quicker.
>
> I know you could edit the stock level as soon as a product
> is added to a cart. But really technically the product is not
> sold until confirmation in checkout. And the user may not even buy.

Sorry, you're trying to have your cake and eat it here. EITHER you're
optimistic and let both users put the product in their cart (but allow
double-purchasing) OR you're pessimistic and only let one user put the
product in their cart (and accept that in low-stock situations you won't
get some sales). There's no way of doing both - about the best you can
do is keep separate "stock level" and "quantity in carts" levels. But
this is irrelevant, because you really, really don't want the pain of
maintaining your own solution; you want to buy someone else's solution.
Honest. It'll save money, time and pain in the long run.

- Peter

 Yahoo! Answers - Got a question? Someone out there knows the answer. Tryit now.