Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by siddharth gupta <gu...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/21 17:17:32 UTC

Help for building the project

hello,

I am a newbie in contributing to open source projects.

Can anyone help me how to build the project ? when i do the same using ant,
it says java 1.8 or higher required. Although when i checked java version
it was already 1.8.

Thanks & Regards,
Siddharth Gupta.

Re: Help for building the project

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
bq: Why didn't the update work ?

The update worked just fine, but you already know that ;).

You can have multiple java versions on your machine, thus JAVA_HOME is
used when compiling; that gives you the flexibility.

FWIW,
Erick

P.S. Meant to send out the other e-mail this morning, kind of
irrelevant now though.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 3/21/2015 10:49 AM, siddharth gupta wrote:
> *Output for echo %JAVA_HOME%:*
>
> C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_55
>
> Few hours back on knowing that I am using java 7 instead of java 8 i
> updated my java.
> Then checked the version through cmd which showed 1.8
>
> Do I need to download java 8 again and configure it ? Why didn't the
> update work ?

Although it appears that your system path points at Java 1.8, your
JAVA_HOME environment variable is used by the build system to find and
run the JDK.  Because of JAVA_HOME, the 1.7 JDK will be used.

You will need to either update JAVA_HOME to point at the 1.8 JDK or get
rid of it entirely.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Help for building the project