Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> on 2015/10/23 19:39:32 UTC

Don't use Easy Widgets for JS/CSS minification

This is something Heith & I have talked about directly, so I wanted to share it
more broadly.  I have added this to our
https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/wiki/Goals/ page.

As part of [#7919], Broccoli was introduced to do JS builds. (Including ES6 and
JSX transpiling). We should expand Brocfile.js to minify & concate all our JS &
CSS. And remove EasyWidgets from minifying, concatenating and serving those
files. EasyWidgets is non standard and unnecessary, and is a dynamic hit rather
than a static file (unless you run a caching server or use a CDN). The one
advantage EasyWidges does have is dynamic registering of which JS & CSS to
include on any given page. We will probably want to adopt a module system in our
JS files, so we know what interdependencies we have. And/or just make one big
.js file that has everything and include it on all pages. Browsers will have
just one big fetch and then keep it cached.

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal