Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by John D'Ausilio <jo...@edge-technologies.com> on 2004/08/02 15:19:40 UTC

M$ interoperability and Arrays

I've been pulling my hair out for a couple weeks trying to get an
Axis-published web service to be consumed by a VB.NET client. I'm
writing the Axis side, a different company the VB side. I'm using Jboss'
Mbean implementation (1.1).

Initially, I read everything I could find and concluded that wrapped
doc/lit was the way to go. The M$ guy complained he couldn't see the
return values unless he used the "old" MSSOAP methods (vs the "new"
.NET?). Eventually we stumbled upon the fact that RPC/enc was what he
was looking for .. very confusing for me and totally opposite of what I
was expecting. But it was working, so we moved on until ..

One of the methods I'm publishing returns a collection of things. Axis
appears to generate a soapenc:Array element to contain the collection,
which looks sensible to me. The M$ client refuses to accept the WSDL
with the Array in it regardless of the style/use choice (we tried all 5
permutations).

Any clues/hints would be appreciated .. I can provide a url to the WSDL
if anyone wants to look at it ..

John D

-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-

Output from M$ WSDL util (as a webservice!
http://apps.gotdotnet.com/xws/wsdlverifier/wsdlverify.asmx) :

ValidateWSDLResult
{
   StandardOutput = Microsoft (R) Web Services Description Language
Utility
[Microsoft (R) .NET Framework, Version 1.0.3612.0]
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2001. All rights reserved.

<deleted schema whining messages>

If you would like more help, please type "wsdl /?".
,
   ErrorOutput = Error: Unable to import binding
'userServiceSoapBinding' from namespace
'http://66.160.36.85:8081/jboss-net/services/userService'.
  - Unable to import operation 'getUser'.
  - The datatype 'Array' is missing.
,
   ErrorHints = I was unable to diagnose why this WSDL didn't work. You
may want to verify that you are using the 2001 XSD Schema (although this
isn't requried by the WSDL spec, it is the only schema version supported
by many SOAP SDKs.
}