Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com> on 2001/12/04 14:56:49 UTC

[excalibur] XmlBundle and co, status ?

Hi,

I have just been quickly looking at the XmlBundle component and its
dependent components (mapper, ...). It looks really nice and I certainly
need something like this in my application. Thus the questions :

* What is the state of XmlBundle ? Is it working functionnally ? Are there
features not implemented yet that I shouldn't use ? Any known bugs ?
* I'd like to use it in a production application. Anything I should know :
performance wise or stability wise ? :)
* Is there a plan to use is for managing the Excalibur Component Manager xml
files ?
* Is there a plan to replace org.apache.avalon.configuration.Configuration
by Bundle in the future (so that components can use Xpath like queries) ?

Thanks
-Vincent

Re: [excalibur] XmlBundle and co, status ?

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 5 Dec 2001 00:56, Vincent Massol wrote:
> I have just been quickly looking at the XmlBundle component and its
> dependent components (mapper, ...). It looks really nice and I certainly
> need something like this in my application. Thus the questions :
>
> * What is the state of XmlBundle ? Is it working functionnally ? Are there

no idea sorry - Neeme or someone else ?

> * Is there a plan to replace org.apache.avalon.configuration.Configuration
> by Bundle in the future (so that components can use Xpath like queries) ?

Not likely - if config files needed/wanted XPAth queries we would probably
bind one of the xpath engines to configuration objects however I haven't
seen a need for it as yet.

--
Cheers,

Pete

Re: [excalibur] XmlBundle and co, status ?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.
Neeme,

Thanks for your answer. The reason is was mentioning the excalibur CM xml
file is because I have a proliferation (is that english ? :-)) of system
configuration file for my application :
- roleConfig.xml + systemConfig.xml (the files for excalibur CM),
- our standard properties file for message definition (exception, audit
logs) + localization
- EJB deployment descriptors (ejb environment values)
- log4j configuration file
- our technical properties file where we define technical system
configuration properties (like the ip of machines, passwords, jndi factory
to use, ...)

Note that I am using Avalon+Excalibur in a J2EE environment which does not
help in this regards, ... :)

Thus, 2 ideas :
1/ in a non j2ee environment, I thought the idea of systemConfig.xml was to
define the full system configuration (i.e. technical data for all
components). Now, what about things like standard properties file for
message definitions ? I thought they could have also been put in
systemConfig.xml. But it would have needed xpath query to easily get access
to a given message, identified by its id (<message id="xxx">text</message>).
That was my first idea yesterday but since then I have changed my mind ...
For several reasons :
  - performance : I'm not sure doing a xpath (
getString("message[@id='id']") ) query is really performant, as the data in
cache will not be indexed on the id. A simple hashmap would be better
suited.
  - As you highlighted, I now believe this was not the intent of these files
to contain this kind of data, so they should be put somewhere else
(properties files for example) and accessed through another component (see
my following post).

2/ In a j2ee world, I would like that both my ejbs and the avalon component
use the same unified configuration service to access system configuration
data. Thus, I have decided to write a configuration avalon component that
would be used by both. Same for logging. Actually, to make like simpler,
I'll write an AbstractLogConfigEnabled abstract class. Something like :

public abstract AbstractLogConfigEnabled implements Composable
{
    private Logging loggerComponent;
    private Config configComponent;

    public void compose(ComponentManager cm)
    {
        // lookup the logging + config component and save their reference
        // (they both are thread safe btw).
     }

    public Logging getLogging()
    {
       return loggerComponent;
     }

     public Config getConfig()
     {
        return configComponent;
     }
}

WRT helping you, I woudl love that but I can promise I'm 500% swamped (with
paid day work + open source night job - Cactus, MockObjects, presentation
for events, book, family also ...;-) ).

Nevertheless, I'll be submitting several proposals for new components soon
... :)

Thanks
-Vincent

?

> No, Bundle support is there just for i18n purposes (at least at this
stage).
> How do you see that it could help the management of the Excalibur
Component

Posted by Neeme Praks <ne...@apache.org>.