Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by John Austin <jw...@sympatico.ca> on 2003/11/28 12:56:16 UTC

Re: Advice using Cocoon for my Application.

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 14:12, users-digest-help@cocoon.apache.org wrote:

> From: Leonard Sitongia <si...@ucar.edu>
> To: users@cocoon.apache.org
> Subject: Advice using Cocoon for my application?
> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:53:54 -0700
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking of using Cocoon for a simple database-driven address book
> application where the critical part is being able to print address labels for
> envelopes.  I'm wondering if XSL:FO would be reasonable to use to produce the
> pages of labels to send to the printer.

Yes, I recently did this for a non-profit that has 400 members.
The first version was done in Cocoon and I later wrote a short program
to contain it all (end user has a desktop).

One advantage of XSL-FO is the fact that it can place areas
using many units of measurement. Canada Post 'standards' are
in millimetres. Check with the US Post Office to see if you get
preferred rates for correctly formatted envelopes. You really want
an envelope feeder if you do very many.

Do you need style sheets? I was thinking of donating them to
the sourceforge project that supports a church membership
data base.

You work in such a pretty location. I used to live off Table Mesa.

--
John Austin <jw...@sympatico.ca>

Re: Advice using Cocoon for my Application.

Posted by Leonard Sitongia <si...@ucar.edu>.
On Friday 28 November 2003 4:56 am, John Austin wrote:
> Yes, I recently did this for a non-profit that has 400 members.
> The first version was done in Cocoon and I later wrote a short program
> to contain it all (end user has a desktop).

That sounds just like what I am considering.  I hope to move off of a
commercial desktop office suite to a web application so that members of my
non-profit can get to the data and also print labels if they like.

> One advantage of XSL-FO is the fact that it can place areas
> using many units of measurement. Canada Post 'standards' are
> in millimetres. Check with the US Post Office to see if you get
> preferred rates for correctly formatted envelopes. You really want
> an envelope feeder if you do very many.

I'm hoping to print onto label sheets such as one obtains from an office
supply store, because we mail newsletters and postcards.

> Do you need style sheets? I was thinking of donating them to
> the sourceforge project that supports a church membership
> data base.

I sure could use them.  I'm very new to cocoon, but I think that the XSL is
where the heart of the work would be for this project.

What is the name of that SF project?

--
==Leonard E. Sitongia
  Visualization and Enabling Technologies / Scientific Computing Division