Posted to hdfs-user@hadoop.apache.org by David Parks <da...@yahoo.com> on 2013/03/18 11:24:20 UTC

On a small cluster can we double up namenode/master with tasktrackers?

I want 20 servers, I got 7, so I want to make the most of the 7 I have. Each
of the 7 servers have: 24GB of ram, 4TB, and 8 cores.

Would it be terribly unwise of me to Run such a configuration:

.         Server #1:           NameNode + Master + TaskTracker(reduced
slots)

.         Server #2:           CheckpointNode(aka Secondary Name Node) +
TaskTracker(slightly reduced slots)

.         Server #3:           TaskTracker

.         Server #4:           TaskTracker

.         Server #5:           TaskTracker

.         Server #6:           TaskTracker

.         Server #7:           TaskTracker

Did I miss anything? Did I shoot myself in the foot anywhere?

RE: On a small cluster can we double up namenode/master with tasktrackers?

Posted by David Parks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Good points all,

The mapreduce jobs are, well. intensive. We've got a whole variety, but
typically I see them use a lot of CPU, a lot of Disk, and upon occasion a
whole bunch of Network bandwidth.  Duh right?  J

The master node is mostly CPU intensive right? We're using LXC to segregate
(psudo-virtualize) our environments for ease of development and management.
I'm looking into whether I can use LXC's quota system to guarantee a certain
level of CPU resources to the container where the master node is housed. If
I can do that I guess we wouldn't have any issue here.

Thanks!

David

You didn't look at how resource intensive your map/reduce jobs are.

Best regards,

Jens

RE: On a small cluster can we double up namenode/master with tasktrackers?

Posted by Jens Scheidtmann <je...@gmail.com>.
David,

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
I think its fine to keep it so long as you also monitor the nodes for
issues during heavy load times and tweak slave configs appropriately
when some resource is overused.

--
Harsh J

Re: On a small cluster can we double up namenode/master with tasktrackers?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Yanbo Liang <ya...@gmail.com>.
I think it is inadvisable to put NameNode and Master(JobTracker) placed in
the same machine,
because the two one are resource intensive applications.

Posted by Yanbo Liang <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jens Scheidtmann <je...@gmail.com>.
David,

Posted by Yanbo Liang <ya...@gmail.com>.