Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by James M Snell <ja...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/10/12 01:55:46 UTC

Resolver prototype

Hey all,

Ok, attached is a prototype for the resolver stuff I posted the other day
as well as a proposal for a simplified version of WSDD geared towards
URL-based deployment.  The test.java file shows basically how the resolver
works.

1. Prepare the collection of resolvers that will be used
2. Prepare the Resolver Context by passing in the location of the service
definition (sd) file
3. Resolve the handler
4. Invoke the handler

The attached test.sd file shows the simplified service descriptor file.

As I have time I'll try to document this a bit more but this at least
gives y'all something to play with.

NOTE: If I don't get any -1's on this by Friday, I will commit it on
Saturday which will lead to some changes to the existing codebase, namely
the removal of all uses of HandlerRegistry.  The change may not happen
right away though.  So............ if you don't want that to happen, SPEAK
UP!

If y'all have any questions or comments, you know how to reach me :-)

(oh, btw, the files in the resolver.zip belong in a new
"org.apache.axis.resolver" package)

The intention is for the service descriptor files to be mapped to a
servlet so that the services can be invoked by:

    http://www.acme.com/test.sd

- James Snell
     Software Engineer, Internet Emerging Technologies, IBM
     James M Snell/Fresno/IBM - jasnell@us.ibm.com
Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified,

do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you
go.
- Joshua 1:9

Re: Resolver prototype

Posted by Glen Daniels <gd...@macromedia.com>.
James:

I'm not comfortable with this in that I haven't had time to review it yet
and it sounds like rather a major change.  If others HAVE looked at it and
are psyched about it, I won't -1 it, but I don't see a lot of discussion
about it in my axis box.

Do you think you could wait until Monday for comments?  I expect to have
some time over the weekend to catch up.

--Glen