Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Ryan Lissack <ry...@abstraction.co.za> on 2003/09/08 18:35:46 UTC

Java Virtual Machines on Linux

Hi,

I am interested to hear if others have used anything other than the Sun VM
for a production Tomcat system, running on Linux, and what their experiences
were.

Re: Java Virtual Machines on Linux

Posted by jm...@nerim.net.
> Hi,
>
> I am interested to hear if others have used anything other than the Sun
> VM for a production Tomcat system, running on Linux, and what their
> experiences were.
>
> From what I can see, there are four main options at the moment:
> Sun JRE 1.4.2
> Blackdown JRE 1.4.1
> IBM JRE 1.4.1
> BEA JRockit 8.1 (J2SE 1.4 compatible)
>
> Any comments/suggestions on any of the above?
>
> We are using Tomcat 4.1 (with CoyoteConnector) running on x86 based dual
> CPU machines using Red Hat Linux 9 (kernel 2.4.20-8smp).

from my previous experience, if your application uses heavy serialization
(HTTP session replication for example) you could gain better response time
with the JRockit from BEA....
never used the blackdown in production environement (just for development)
IBM 1.4 had several bugs (with properties loading...), I think they 're
fixed now

regards
Jerome

Posted by "Mike Cherichetti (Renegade Internet)" <mi...@renegadeinternet.com>.
Ryan,

I've had good luck with the IBM JVM on Linux.  The Sun JVM is slower, uses
more memory, and isn't as stable.  At least that's been my experience with
it.  I'd narrow your options down to IBM and BEA.

Mike