Posted to user@pig.apache.org by Prashanth Pappu <pr...@conviva.com> on 2008/06/04 02:00:13 UTC

PIG performance

I just upgraded my PIG src to top of svn and see really poor performance
with group and cogroup queries.

Is there a recommended svn version to be used with hadoop 1.17?

Prashanth

Re: PIG performance

Posted by pi song <pi...@gmail.com>.
I think saying "slow down" is too subjective. When we get performance boost
in most areas, some smaller areas might perform poorer than before.
I saw a Jira issue that discussed about introducing a standard way to
benchmark before but didn't see  any progress.

RE: PIG performance

Posted by Olga Natkovich <ol...@yahoo-inc.com>.

Re: PIG performance

Posted by Prashanth Pappu <pr...@conviva.com>.

Re: local bytes read/written

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.
During map reduce, hadoop creates a number of temporary files.  These
include the output of maps, and any dumps that the sort/merge algorithm
has to do.  All these are written to local fs.  Only final outputs are
written to hdfs.  That's why you're seeing so much more local io.

Alan.

Re: local bytes read/written

Posted by Alan Gates <ga...@yahoo-inc.com>.

RE: local bytes read/written