Posted to users@maven.apache.org by John Fallows <jo...@gmail.com> on 2005/07/12 00:23:05 UTC

[m2] maven checkstyle report customization

Is it possible to customize the M2 maven-checkstyle-plugin to use a
different ruleset?

Given that a custom ruleset is likely to span multiple projects, and
it doesn't make sense to duplicate the custom ruleset file in each
project, what is the best way to configure such a plugin?

Perhaps we could customize the report plugin via ClassLoader resource,
so that a common dependency JAR (containing the custom ruleset
definition) could be included on the classpath by a parent POM, while
the same parent POM could be used to configure the
maven-checkstyle-report (pointing to the location of the custom
ruleset definition inside the JAR as a classpath resource).  This
assumes that the report plugin has a parameter such as
"configResourcePath".

Perhaps we need a src/plugin/resources directory so that such a
classpath-based resource scheme could still work inside a single
project.  The "plugin/resources" would be on the classpath during
plugin execution only, and would not contribute to either compilation
or test classpaths.

Kind Regards,
John Fallows.

Re: [m2] maven checkstyle report customization

Posted by John Fallows <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 7/13/05, Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net> wrote:
> John Fallows wrote:
> >
> > Is the maven-checkstyle-plugin aligned with the Maven2 beta-1 release,
> > and therefore scheduled for mid July?
>
> I hope we can do it for the beta-1 release.

I have filed JIRA issue MNG-587 to help track this improvement.

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-587

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.

John Fallows wrote:
> On 7/12/05, Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net> wrote:
>
>>In the next release, you'll can choose your own ruleset.
>

> That's the next release of the maven-checkstyle-plugin, right?

yes.

> Is the maven-checkstyle-plugin aligned with the Maven2 beta-1 release,
> and therefore scheduled for mid July?

I hope we can do it for the beta-1 release. If you want to contribute,
you're welcome ;-)

Emmanuel

Posted by John Fallows <jo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Emmanuel Venisse <em...@venisse.net>.