Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Cindy Jiang <cj...@infoblox.com> on 2013/08/01 23:24:48 UTC

IP Address assigned by CS is not passed to new instance VM

Hello,

We are trying to create a new instance with basic networking setup using CentOS 6.0 ISO. Cloudstack assigns the correct IP Address (in my case: 10.60.176.110) to this new centOS instance, but once you log into this VM, check "ifconfig" and "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0", the IP Address and default gateway information are not passed through correctly. The same issue with hostname – instead of "centos-107", it shows as "localhost.localdomain". Please see attached screenshots. Has anyone experienced the similar issue?

Our environment:

  1.  CS 4.2
  2.  XenServer 6.0.2
  3.  CentOS 6.0 ISO

Thanks,
Cindy

RE: IP Address assigned by CS is not passed to new instance VM

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
To avoid DHCP race conditions, we've split our network and create a separate network/scope - such that only cloudstack dhcp is served out cloud network.

Posted by David Ortiz <dp...@outlook.com>.
Cindy,

Posted by David Comerford <da...@gmail.com>.
Why do you have ONBOOT="no"?

Re: 答复: IP Address assigned by CS is not passed to new instance VM

Posted by Cindy Jiang <cj...@infoblox.com>.
Yes, I did before, but no luck. I think it is because there is no static
IP or dynamic DHCP information in the configuration file.

I am wondering if Cloudstack pass these information, where is it stored?

Thanks,
Cindy

On 8/1/13 8:07 PM, "Yan Ke" <ya...@yonyou.com> wrote:

>Have you tried to bring-up eht0 and restart the network service?
>
>Just try:
>ifconfig eth0 up;
>service network restart;
>
>On 2013年08月02日 09:51, Jerry Jiang wrote:
>> Hi Cindy,
>>
>> I faced the same issue days ago, and asked in this mail thread.
>>
>> It seems there is CS bug in basic network. You could try with advanced
>> network to see the bug is there or not.
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Jerry

>>> NM_CONTROLLED="yes"

Posted by Yan Ke <ya...@yonyou.com>.

答复: 答复: IP Address assigned by CS is not passed to new instance VM

Posted by Yan Ke <ya...@yonyou.com>.
For me, this only occurs after a refresh CentOS 6.4 guest installation. And
I think it's due to CentOS not enabling eht0 by default.

If you're facing the same problem as I mentioned above, just edit the
'/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0', specify the 'onboot'
properties' value as yes.

Even I have the same issue. Doing as suggested below only helps sometimes.
But this method doesn't help while automating VM creation and running
scripts after the VM is launched.

Thanks
Sriharsha

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 1, 2013, at 20:08, Yan Ke <ya...@yonyou.com> wrote:
>
> Have you tried to bring-up eht0 and restart the network service?
>
> Just try:
> ifconfig eth0 up;
> service network restart;
>
>> On 2013年08月02日 09:51, Jerry Jiang wrote:
>> Hi Cindy,
>>
>> I faced the same issue days ago, and asked in this mail thread.
>>
>> It seems there is CS bug in basic network. You could try with
>> advanced network to see the bug is there or not.
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Jerry

>>> NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
>>> ONBOOT="no"
>>>
>>> From: Cindy Jiang <cj...@infoblox.com>>
>>> Date: Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:34 PM
>>> To: "users@cloudstack.apache.org<ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>"
>>> <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>>,
>>> Soheil Eizadi <se...@infoblox.com>>
>>> Subject: Re: IP Address assigned by CS is not passed to new instance
>>> VM
>>>
>>> Attach the screenshots
>>>
>>> [cid:CFDFC580-184D-4F0E-AF41-5AF18794D413][cid:7E1641EF-DEBC-4A25-90
>>> B3-
>>> 3B1
>>> 32C1A66B0]
>>>
>>> [cid:DA5AC137-FC18-4A63-9367-7583EB1A6940]
>>>
>>> From: Cindy Jiang <cj...@infoblox.com>>
>>> Date: Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:24 PM
>>> To: "users@cloudstack.apache.org<ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>"
>>> <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>>,
>>> Soheil Eizadi <se...@infoblox.com>>
>>> Subject: IP Address assigned by CS is not passed to new instance VM
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We are trying to create a new instance with basic networking setup
>>> using CentOS 6.0 ISO. Cloudstack assigns the correct IP Address (in
>>> my
>> case:
>>> 10.60.176.110) to this new centOS instance, but once you log into
>>> this VM, check "ifconfig" and
>>> "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0",
>>> the IP Address and default gateway information are not passed
>>> through correctly. The same issue with hostname  instead of
>>> "centos-107", it shows as "localhost.localdomain". Please see
>>> attached screenshots. Has anyone experienced the similar issue?
>>>
>>> Our environment:
>>>
>>> 1.  CS 4.2
>>> 2.  XenServer 6.0.2

Posted by Venkata SwamyBabu Budumuru <ve...@citrix.com>.
Do you have any other DHCP seder running on the same VLAN?

Posted by sriharsha work <sr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Swamy,

Posted by Cindy Jiang <cj...@infoblox.com>.
Hi Swamy,

Thanks. I checked the below configuration on router VM.
1. The VM's MAC and IP indeed being recorded in /etc/dhcphosts.txt file
correctly;
2. The DHCP range configuration in /etc/dnsmasq.conf is below (seems to me
it is not correctly configured):
Dhcp-range=10.60.176.1, static

In my case, "10.60.176.1" is my default gateway IP, and my router VM IP
address is "10.60.176.103". I am confused. Should it be
"dhcp-range-10.60.176.103, static" ? Or, CS has the dhcp range for default
network as "10.60.176.100 - 150" for example, my logic would be that, CS
pass these information to router VM, correct? So would this dnsmasq.conf
file be something like below ? :
Dhcp-range=10.60.176.100,10.60.176.150,24h

On my guest VM, if I do "dhclient eth0", it gets the new IP address from
my external DHCP server, but not the one assigned by CS.

Thanks,
Cindy

Posted by Venkata SwamyBabu Budumuru <ve...@citrix.com>.
Hi Sriharsha,

Posted by sriharsha work <sr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Even I have the same issue. Doing as suggested below only helps
sometimes. But this method doesn't help while automating VM creation
and running scripts after the VM is launched.

Thanks
Sriharsha

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 1, 2013, at 20:08, Yan Ke <ya...@yonyou.com> wrote:
>
> Have you tried to bring-up eht0 and restart the network service?
>
> Just try:
> ifconfig eth0 up;
> service network restart;
>
>> On 2013年08月02日 09:51, Jerry Jiang wrote:
>> Hi Cindy,
>>
>> I faced the same issue days ago, and asked in this mail thread.
>>
>> It seems there is CS bug in basic network. You could try with advanced
>> network to see the bug is there or not.
>>
>> Thanks
>> -Jerry

>>> NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
>>> ONBOOT="no"
>>>
>>> From: Cindy Jiang <cj...@infoblox.com>>
>>> Date: Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:34 PM
>>> To: "users@cloudstack.apache.org<ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>"
>>> <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>>,
>>> Soheil Eizadi <se...@infoblox.com>>
>>> Subject: Re: IP Address assigned by CS is not passed to new instance VM
>>>
>>> Attach the screenshots
>>>
>>> [cid:CFDFC580-184D-4F0E-AF41-5AF18794D413][cid:7E1641EF-DEBC-4A25-90B3-
>>> 3B1
>>> 32C1A66B0]
>>>
>>> [cid:DA5AC137-FC18-4A63-9367-7583EB1A6940]
>>>
>>> From: Cindy Jiang <cj...@infoblox.com>>
>>> Date: Thursday, August 1, 2013 2:24 PM
>>> To: "users@cloudstack.apache.org<ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>"
>>> <us...@cloudstack.apache.org>>,
>>> Soheil Eizadi <se...@infoblox.com>>
>>> Subject: IP Address assigned by CS is not passed to new instance VM
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We are trying to create a new instance with basic networking setup
>>> using CentOS 6.0 ISO. Cloudstack assigns the correct IP Address (in my
>> case:
>>> 10.60.176.110) to this new centOS instance, but once you log into this
>>> VM, check "ifconfig" and "/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0",
>>> the IP Address and default gateway information are not passed through
>>> correctly. The same issue with hostname  instead of "centos-107", it
>>> shows as "localhost.localdomain". Please see attached screenshots. Has
>>> anyone experienced the similar issue?
>>>
>>> Our environment:
>>>
>>> 1.  CS 4.2
>>> 2.  XenServer 6.0.2

Posted by Cindy Jiang <cj...@infoblox.com>.
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for this information. Is it related to CS 4.2 or early releases?
We will look into it.

-Cindy

Posted by sriharsha work <sr...@gmail.com>.
For me, the CentOS 6.3 template works fine for some of the vm's I
create. For example, if I try creating 10 vm's, 7 of them will be just
fine but the rest 3 are corrupted.

My concern is if the template is wrong it should fail for all 10 vm's
but not just a few of them.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Cindy Jiang <cj...@infoblox.com>.
I turned off all external DHCP servers in this network and tried again.
This time, no more IP being assigned… I can see that VM was trying to
grasp a IP from DHCP lease but couldn't; then send DHCP request through
ethernet0, but appears to get nothing.

I was able to do with some guest VM with built-in template before, some
get the correct IPs, but some just went to external DHCP server and get
one; this time, it fails to get anything.

Bringing up loopback interface lo ..................................... [
OK  ]
udhcpc (v1.13.1) started
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
Sending discover...
No lease, forking to background
Starting DHCP forEthernet interface eth0 .............................. [
OK  ]
Starting dropbrear SSH server:

% ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 06:0C:F8:00:00:27
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:173875 (169.7 KiB)  TX bytes:19938 (19.4 KiB)
          Interrupt:7

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Cindy Jiang <cj...@infoblox.com>.
Hi Chiradeep,