Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pid <pi...@pidster.com> on 2009/11/24 14:44:20 UTC

[OT] Re: Tomcat 6 and Apache2 VS Tomcat 6 alone

On 24/11/2009 12:34, Robert Koberg wrote:

> On Nov 24, 2009, at 4:30 AM, Robert Koberg wrote:

>>> You might be able to achieve it with XML includes.
>>>
>>> I recall previous discussion on the list describing this as possible - why not give it a try&  report back?
>>

>> Yes, I remember. I think I was going to look at it back then :)
>>
>> The problem with XML Include or (even worse) DTD defined entities is that if the included file is changed (the host files are set to be watched, because it would not appear the server.xml has changed) it would currently need to reconfigure the whole server (I think). It would be better if tomcat could recognize just one host haas changed and reload it. Haven't had a major itch here, so just throwing it out :)
>

> Additionally, if you added a new host, you would need to edit the server.xml to add a reference to it. It would be much nicer if it worked like context config files. The file system currently being used for tomcat seems perfectly set up for such a thing.

I don't believe that the config parser can cope with making dynamic
changes to the server's structure.  It is possible to make fairly
significant changes via JMX.

RE: [OT] Re: Tomcat 6 and Apache2 VS Tomcat 6 alone

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Pid [mailto:pid@pidster.com]
> Subject: [OT] Re: Tomcat 6 and Apache2 VS Tomcat 6 alone
>
> > Additionally, if you added a new host, you would need to edit the
> server.xml to add a reference to it. It would be much nicer if it
> worked like context config files. The file system currently being used
> for tomcat seems perfectly set up for such a thing.
>
> I don't believe that the config parser can cope with making dynamic
> changes to the server's structure.  It is possible to make fairly
> significant changes via JMX.

Additional <Host> elements do *not* need to be specified in server.xml - you can add and remove them on the fly with Tomcat's host-manager (not manager) webapp.

 - Chuck