Posted to user@mahout.apache.org by Sarath P R <sa...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/04 06:21:24 UTC

Applying DataMining on Network Packets

I am monitoring packet flow in a Network Interface .  Now i want to make
some predictions. Actually i am not sure about what algorithm i should use
and what kind of predictions i may need. I just want to know is it possible
to classify network packets using Mahout Classification algorithm. Can
anyone make some comments. Thanks in advance

--
Thank You
Sarath P Ramachandran

Re: Applying DataMining on Network Packets

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.
Sorry - sent too early - missing information below.

On 04.10.2011 Isabel Drost wrote:
> On 04.10.2011 Sarath P R wrote:
> A really nice explanation of this concept is explained in the Mahout in
> Action book. You can also take a quick look at the following slides for a
> general outline:

<https://github.com/MaineC/aim3-tu-
berlin/blob/master/slides/03_dataPreparation.odp>

Another starting point with information on what can be done with machine
learning in the area of network monitoring/ intrusion detection and malware
detection that might help:

> http://www.user.tu-berlin.de/konrad.rieck/pubs.html

Isabel

Re: Applying DataMining on Network Packets

Posted by Sarath P R <sa...@gmail.com>.
Thank You Isabel. I think you have said it. I have to find out features and
create vectors.

Posted by Isabel Drost <is...@apache.org>.

Posted by JAGANADH G <ja...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Sarath P R <sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am monitoring packet flow in a Network Interface .  Now i want to make
> some predictions. Actually i am not sure about what algorithm i should use
> and what kind of predictions i may need. I just want to know is it possible
> to classify network packets using Mahout Classification algorithm. Can
> anyone make some comments. Thanks in advance

Hi
I think you need to look some un-supervised algos for prediction .
--
JAGANADH G