Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by kf...@collab.net on 2004/09/11 16:05:42 UTC

Re: svn commit: r10907 - branches/1.1.x

lundblad@tigris.org writes:
> +Status of 1.1.1:
> +================
> +
> +Candidate changes:
> +
> +  * r10788, r10796, r10904
> +    Fix performance regression in character encoding translations.  Most
> +    noticable on Win32, but impacts other platforms as well.
> +    Justification:
> +      Slow "svn status" annoys people, especially TSVN users.
> +    Notes:
> +      Proposed during 1.1.0 preparation, but it is too late and complicated
> +      to put in 1.1.0 at this stage.
> +    Votes:
> +      +1: lundblad

Doesn't r10904 change an API by adding a pool (svn_utf_initialize)?

If so, then it can't happen in a patch release.  It could appear in
1.1.0 (since svn_utf_initialize itself is new in 1.1).  Or it could
appear in 1.2.0, but it would have to be named 'svn_utf_initialize2'.

-Karl

Re: svn commit: r10907 - branches/1.1.x

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
kfogel@collab.net wrote:
> "Max Bowsher" <ma...@ukf.net> writes:
>>> Doesn't r10904 change an API by adding a pool (svn_utf_initialize)?
>>>
>>> If so, then it can't happen in a patch release.
>>
>> That change is catching up with the new signature *already* in place
>> on the 1.1.x branch as of r10877.
>>
>> So, all is ok.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Is there some reason we did things in that order, instead of the more
> usual trunk-first order?

Once the function signature had been decided on, the 2 changes were
essentially independent, to the point of being handled by different people!
The branch change was the application of a patch from an issue, not the
merge of a trunk revision.

The branch change was quite simple ( a placeholder ), whilst the trunk
change was quite a bit more complex. Therefore they happened in the order
they did.

Max.

Re: svn commit: r10907 - branches/1.1.x

Posted by kf...@collab.net.