Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by Dmitry Beransky <dm...@gmail.com> on 2007/09/10 23:20:46 UTC

timing connection

Hi,

I'm using HttpClient in a simple stress testing tool I'm developing.  I'd
like to be able to time different phases of a connection:  handshake time,
time to first byte sent, time to first byte received, time to last byte
received, and perhaps a few more.   Can this be accomplished some how with
HttpClient?  If so, any pointers how?

Thanks
Dmitry

Re: timing connection

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Mon, 2007-09-10 at 14:20 -0700, Dmitry Beransky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using HttpClient in a simple stress testing tool I'm developing.  I'd
> like to be able to time different phases of a connection:  handshake time,
> time to first byte sent, time to first byte received, time to last byte
> received, and perhaps a few more.   Can this be accomplished some how with
> HttpClient?  If so, any pointers how?

Dmitry,

Unfortunately there are no good news for you. HttpClient 3.x API is not
flexible enough to allow for injection of application specific aspects
into the request / response cycle such as fine-grained performance
measures. HttpClient 4.0 API is much better in that regard, but it is
still in the very early stage of development and we do recommend it for
use in non-experimental projects at this point.

The only option you have is forking HttpClient 3.1.

Oleg