Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> on 2012/05/25 07:51:14 UTC

Re: UIMA and uimaFIT

> On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 2:06 AM, Richard Eckart de Castilho
> <ec...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:
>> In Darmstadt we completely rely on descriptors generated at runtime form the annotations in the Java
>> files and find that very very convenient. I understand others will prefer static XML files to
>> runtime-generated descriptors.
>
> Another advantage for real descriptor files is scale out frameworks. I
> don't understand how uimaFit will work in UIMA-AS or other scale out
> frameworks.

uimaFIT is used in the context of UIMA-HPC [1] as a means to dynamically create component descriptions (including CPE descriptions) for UIMA pipelines that run within a Grid workflow architecture. Here, the scale-out happens outside of UIMA and supports other kinds of processing steps as well.

-- Richard

[1] http://www.uima-hpc.de/en/technical.html

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckart@ukp.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de