Posted to dev@arrow.apache.org by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com> on 2021/01/09 23:36:17 UTC

Re: ursa-labs/crossbow on travis-ci.com is disabled

Hi,

Could Ursa Labs buy the Travis CI's "5 Concurrent plan"
($249/month) only for this month? It's just for the 3.0.0
release. We can stop the plan after we release 3.0.0.

See also: https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/billing-overview/#concurrency-based-plans

Background:

We have only two Crossbow task types that depend on Travis
CI: building .deb/.rpm for ARM64 and testing Homebrew on macOS

We'll be able to migrate testing Homebrew on macOS tasks to
other CI like GitHub Actions easily. But building .deb/.rpm
for ARM64 tasks are difficult.

Here are failed candidates:

  1. Using GitHub Actions with x86_64 host + QEMU + ccache

     We know that building .deb/.rpm for ARM64 with x86_64
     host + QEMU takes 6h+.

     Hypothesis: If we use ccache and share cache with
     builds, we may be able to reduce build time.

     Fact: We can't share cache between Crossbow
     tasks. Because Crossbow creates a new branch for each
     task and doesn't use the default branch. The GitHub
     Actions cache feature doesn't share cache between
     branches:
     https://docs.github.com/en/free-pro-team@latest/actions/guides/caching-dependencies-to-speed-up-workflows#matching-a-cache-key

  2. Using Drone Cloud like our conda-*-aarch64 tasks

     Building .deb/.rpm tasks prepare build in base host and
     run a Docker container to build .deb/.rpm. We need to
     run a Docker container in CI. Travis CI and GitHub
     Actions can do it.

     It seems that Drone Cloud uses Docker pipeline:
     https://docs.drone.io/yaml/docker/
     We need Docker-in-Docker support for building .deb/.rpm
     tasks. But Drone Cloud doesn't support Docker-in-Docker:
     https://discourse.drone.io/t/run-docker-container-in-docker/5704/2

We may be able to use Bulidkite based CI for 4.0.0.

kou

In <63...@www.fastmail.com>

Posted by Sutou Kouhei <ko...@clear-code.com>.
Hi,

We released 3.0.0. We can stop the Travis CI subscription. Thanks!

We should prepare new (Buildkite based?) CI for arm64 by the
next release.

kou

In <20...@clear-code.com>
  "Re: ursa-labs/crossbow on travis-ci.com is disabled" on Tue, 12 Jan 2021 04:00:15 +0900 (JST),

Posted by Krisztián Szűcs <sz...@gmail.com>.
I migrated the CI configurations from ursa-labs/crossbow to
ursacomputing/crossbow [1] which should be the default after merging
[2].
I will still need to configure additional credentials for publishing
nightly artifacts, but the next crossbow runs should pass.

In the meantime you should be able to trigger builds using the comment
bot (but gha is really slow):
@github-actions crossbow -c ursacomputing/crossbow submit -g wheel

Or locally using the crossbow.py script directly.
Here is an ARM build:
https://travis-ci.com/github/ursacomputing/crossbow/builds/212762113

[1]: https://github.com/ursacomputing/crossbow
[2]: https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/9096