Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com> on 2003/02/05 22:03:34 UTC

Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 15:38, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?RuperProposal
>
> I've set up a proposal about a Jakarta project for a Repository Project
> on the wiki. Below is the current content.
>
> Maven developers are invited to partecipate in the effort :-)

Great, so you're inviting us to develop something we've already thought
about intensely and implemented. Do you ever wonder why we as Maven
developers have never felt compelled to work with you?

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by "Andrew C. Oliver" <ac...@apache.org>.

>>Maven developers are invited to partecipate in the effort :-)
>>

>Great, so you're inviting us to develop something we've already thought
>about intensely and implemented. Do you ever wonder why we as Maven
>developers have never felt compelled to work with you?

Thats not fair Jason.  So far you and the maven developers have received
accords for this.  I know
you want everyone to use maven.  However this stuff has uses outside of
Maven and Centipede and
even Ant.  Lets not be divided on this, please?  We have a chance to
build something really cool and compelling that
will help solve so many problems, contribute a great deal to the
communtiy and it doesn't have to be about
turf.  Heck, remove Nicola Ken and my name as sponsoring members and put
yours there if you want,
we just want to see this happen.  How is irrelevant.  Lets kill Jar-hell
and jars in CVS once and for all!

-Andy

Re: [Proposal] Jakarta Ruper

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On 5 Feb 2003, Jason van Zyl wrote:

> On Wed, 2003-02-05 at 15:38, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> > http://nagoya.apache.org/wiki/apachewiki.cgi?RuperProposal
> >
> > I've set up a proposal about a Jakarta project for a Repository Project
> > on the wiki. Below is the current content.
> >
> > Maven developers are invited to partecipate in the effort :-)
>
> Great, so you're inviting us to develop something we've already thought
> about intensely and implemented. Do you ever wonder why we as Maven
> developers have never felt compelled to work with you?

Is politics that hard a field to understand?? If you want something from
another group, you have to scratch their back and make them want to give
that something.

Nick, as a Centipede member, wants something from Maven, ie) legitimacy
for Ruper. The solution is easy, pull the Maven code out, and improve it
based on the features in Ruper. Consider Ruper as a prototype-fork of the
Maven code.

Then all parties ought to get something and will agree.

The alternative is:

"Oi Maven, throw your system our and be sit on top of Ruper"

Which is blatantly not going to win any votes. I'm as much an introverted,
socially inept individual as the next oss developer [who has not managed
to read The Prince fully, but has delved into bits] but this really seems
quite easy to do. It's obvious that the approach above is bound to slam
straight into the Maven developers.

Build community through co-operation rather than try to evolve the best
community through antagonism. Meritocracy does not mean doing everything
your own way, and neither does the clause to allow forking when necessary.

Hen