Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Terry Brick <te...@yahoo.com> on 2004/06/21 23:57:23 UTC

Internationalizing Form Validation?

Is something like this built into Cocoon?  I see that that I can use i18n to internationlize the
text in the forms, but what about validation for things like date input fields... where different
locales use different date formats... For example, depending on the locale, date input format
should be mm/dd/yy or dd/mm/yy.
An ideas?

Re: Internationalizing Form Validation?

Posted by Terry Brick <te...@yahoo.com>.
Never mind... I found the answer in the documentation.  I had looked in the Form Validation
section and didn't see it there... ended up finding it under data types...
http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/forms/datatypes.html

It is also possible to use different patterns for different locales by using multiple fd:pattern
elements with "locale" attributes, for example:

<fd:convertor type="formatting">
  <fd:patterns>
    <fd:pattern>MM/dd/yyyy</fd:pattern>
    <fd:pattern locale="nl-BE">dd/MM/yyyy</fd:pattern>
    <fd:pattern locale="fr">dd-MM-yyyy</fd:pattern>
  </fd:patterns>
</fd:convertor>In this case, if the locale is "nl-BE", the second pattern will be used; if the
locale is "en", the first pattern will be used; and if the locale is "fr-BE" the third pattern
will be used (because when fr-BE is not found, it will first search for "fr" before using the
locale-indepent pattern).