Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Ra...@iflexsolutions.com on 2006/09/28 15:41:26 UTC

[Axis 2] : Newbie question on Attachment

Hi Everyone,

My requirement is, I have to call a web service by sending an
attachment. I would like to know which implementation is better
(SwA/MTOM)?

Could someone provide an expert advice on this?

I am using Axis2.

Your response is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ramkumar

Re: [Axis 2] : Newbie question on Attachment

Posted by Thilina Gunarathne <cs...@gmail.com>.
Axis 2 supports both MTOM & SwA...
Use of MTOM or SwA will depend on what your service supports.

MTOM is the better way, but most of the existing SOAP engines do not
have support for that. Only the new generation stacks like Axis2 has
support for that. .

Following is an extract on interoperability of MTOM & SwA from
http://ws.apache.org/axis2/1_0/mtom-guide.html#3

"MTOM specification is designed to be backward compatible with the
SOAP with Attachments specification. Even though the representation is
different, both technologies have the same wire format. We can safely
assume that any SOAP with Attachments endpoint can accept a MTOM
optimized messages and treat them as SOAP with Attachment messages -
Any MTOM optimized message is a valid SwA message. Because of that
Axis2 does not define a separate programming model or serialization
for SwA. Users can use the MTOM programming model and serialization to
send messages to SwA endpoints."

 HTH,
Thilina

--