Posted to dev@directory.apache.org by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net> on 2004/01/20 17:30:35 UTC

Welcome Vince!

Vince,

The vote was taken and it was unanimous.  Welcome on board the team.

We still need to get the CLA and the software grant faxed to the
ASF secretary.  If you can take care of that soon and give us a
shout that would be great. Also I figure vtence is good for your
UID?

Noel,

Could you hook him up on the ppmc list?  Also what do we need to
do to give him subversion karma?

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Welcome Vince!

Posted by Vincent Tence <vt...@pyxis-tech.com>.
On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 11:30, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Vince,
>
> The vote was taken and it was unanimous.  Welcome on board the team.

I am really excited to be part of the team, and I'll take of few minutes
of your time to talk a bit about who I am.

I have been living in Montreal, Canada, for the past 4 1/2 years after I
arrived from France. I turned 30 this summer.

I have been serious with Java since around summer 2000. Before that I
had been doing mostly C, but hopefully I don't remember it know ;-) In
computers, my principal interests are (in no particular order):

- Agile methodologies - I got my SCRUM Master certification not so long
ago, yeah!
- Automated testing methodologies and techniques
- Security related stuff
- COP

I'll be glad to help with JIRA, the web site, security, Picoification,
Swing related stuff, acceptance testing, unit testing, mocking. I'll be
glad to learn about the rest ;-)

- Vincent

RE: Welcome Vince!

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> $ ~noel/htpasswd /x1/svn/asf-committers username

Just run "svnpasswd", not htpasswd.  To make this clearer, I have removed
that symlink from my home directory.

> You will also need to send an e-mail to infrastructure@apache.org
> and ask them to add your ID to the asf-authorization file for the
> directory subversion project.

Actually, we can handle those requests locally.  Every PMC Chair, and some
others, have karma for making those changes.

	--- Noel

Re: Welcome Vince!

Posted by Jeff Machols <jm...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 11:30, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Vince,
>
> The vote was taken and it was unanimous.  Welcome on board the team.
>
> We still need to get the CLA and the software grant faxed to the
> ASF secretary.  If you can take care of that soon and give us a
> shout that would be great. Also I figure vtence is good for your
> UID?
>
> Noel,
>
> Could you hook him up on the ppmc list?  Also what do we need to
> do to give him subversion karma?

I believe this is still the method to get karma:

Before you do the checkin, you will need to add yourself to the
committers list, by logging into cvs.apache.org and running
$ ~noel/htpasswd /x1/svn/asf-committers username

Then enter the password to use for this.  Do not make it the same as
your account.  You will also need to send an e-mail to

RE: AAA Licensing ... ASL without CLA or grant?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Vincent Tence wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > Your intent, as I recall it, is for some of the original
> > code from AAA4Avalon to stay, too.

> I am entirely rewriting the code base, but I'm still inspired by
> the original code, so there will be some similarities.

AIUI, inspired is not a copyright matter.  If you are rewriting it, then it
is new code.  That is a change from your prior message when we discussed
this on December 4th.  If all of the AAA code is authored by you or another
CLA signee, then we ought to be OK.

	--- Noel

Re: AAA Licensing ... ASL without CLA or grant?

Posted by Vincent Tence <vt...@pyxis-tech.com>.
On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 14:08, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Your intent, as I
> recall it, is for some of the original code from AAA4Avalon to stay, too.

In fact I am entirely rewriting the code base, but I'm still inspired by
the original code, so there will be some similarities.

> Perhaps I am overly sensitive to IP issues, but although the authors of
> AAA4Avalon used the Apache Software License, there is no document between
> them and the ASF.  I don't know if we have an official policy regarding
> external projects that use the Apache Software License, in terms of whether
> we consider that to be an implied grant.  Therefore, I believe that it might
> be best if we received a software grant from the authors
> (http://sourceforge.net/project/memberlist.php?group_id=54061), unless there
> is an authoritative determination that the ASL is an implied grant by the
> author using it.

Does that still hold even if the code is being rewritten? If yes, I'll
try to contact the original authors.

- Vincent

AAA Licensing ... ASL without CLA or grant?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Vince,

> Is there any issue with the fact that the security framework is
> based on some code developed under the ASL at sourceforge? I
> remember we had a discussion about legal issues and licenses,
> but I'm not sure what the conclusion was.

As I understand it, the AAAFramework is based upon AAA4Avalon, both of which
are under the ASL.  You and Alex have both submitted signed CLAs, which
cover your contribution of original AAAFramework code.  Your intent, as I

Re: Welcome Vince!

Posted by Vincent Tence <vt...@pyxis-tech.com>.
On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 11:30, Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Vince,
>
> The vote was taken and it was unanimous.  Welcome on board the team.

Great! Thanks everybody. I'll post some background info about myself
later during the day.

> We still need to get the CLA and the software grant faxed to the
> ASF secretary.

Alright. Is there any issue with the fact that the security framework is
based on some code developed under the ASL at sourceforge? I remember we
had a discussion about legal issues and licenses, but I'm not sure what
the conclusion was.

> If you can take care of that soon and give us a
> shout that would be great. Also I figure vtence is good for your
> UID?

Excellent.

Thanks,
- Vincent

RE: Welcome Vince!

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Could you hook him up on the ppmc list?

He can subscribe, and be moderated.

> Also what do we need to do to give him subversion karma?

When he has his ID, he can run svnpasswd to register his identity with
Subversion, and ask for his ID be added to the authorization list for the
Directory project.

	--- Noel