Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com> on 2014/02/28 17:31:19 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1572762 - /subversion/trunk/build/ac-macros/serf.m4

On 27.02.2014 23:26, breser@apache.org wrote:
> Author: breser
> Date: Thu Feb 27 22:26:46 2014
> New Revision: 1572762

> Log:
> Fix a number of problems with our serf configure detection.
>
> build/ac-macros/serf.m4
>   (): Update the description

I've been trying to figure out where people found this format for
top-level descriptions in log messages. I see them more and more often.
Surely not from HACKING, which clearly says it should be:

* build/ac-macros/serf.m4: Update the description.

-- Brane

--
Branko Čibej | Director of Subversion
WANdisco // Non-Stop Data

Re: svn commit: r1572762 - /subversion/trunk/build/ac-macros/serf.m4

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On 2/28/14, 8:31 AM, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 27.02.2014 23:26, breser@apache.org wrote:
>> Author: breser
>> Date: Thu Feb 27 22:26:46 2014
>> New Revision: 1572762

>> Log:
>> Fix a number of problems with our serf configure detection.
>>
>> build/ac-macros/serf.m4
>>   (): Update the description
>
> I've been trying to figure out where people found this format for top-level
> descriptions in log messages. I see them more and more often. Surely not from
> HACKING, which clearly says it should be:
>
> * build/ac-macros/serf.m4: Update the description.

I've seen it being used.  I don't know who used it first.  If we don't want to
use it that's fine with me.  I used it because it makes it easier to write
changes to the top-level of a file and within functions/sections.

Re: svn commit: r1572762 - /subversion/trunk/build/ac-macros/serf.m4

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@wandisco.com>.
On 28.02.2014 18:46, Ben Reser wrote:
> On 2/28/14, 9:42 AM, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
>> I think this follows from the problem of making both symbol-specific and
>> top-level changes in a given file.  Some folks do this:
>>
>> * build/ac-macros/serf.m4:
>>   Update the description.
>>  (some_func): Twiddle the deeznits.
>>
>> Others dislike the inconsistency, and prefer instead:
>>
>> * build/ac-macros/serf.m4:
>>  (): Update the description.
>>  (some_func): Twiddle the deeznits.
> Yes this is exactly why I was using this form.  The first one just looks wrong
> to me, but if that's what everyone agrees we should be using then I'll stop
> doing the (): bit.

Well ... I'll rank "looks good" over "consistent" any day, even without
quoting Emerson.

-- Brane

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On 2/28/14, 9:42 AM, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> I think this follows from the problem of making both symbol-specific and
> top-level changes in a given file.  Some folks do this:
>
> * build/ac-macros/serf.m4:
>   Update the description.
>  (some_func): Twiddle the deeznits.
>
> Others dislike the inconsistency, and prefer instead:
>
> * build/ac-macros/serf.m4:
>  (): Update the description.
>  (some_func): Twiddle the deeznits.

Yes this is exactly why I was using this form.  The first one just looks wrong
to me, but if that's what everyone agrees we should be using then I'll stop
doing the (): bit.

> Once you establish a habit of the latter, it sorta follows that when you have
> only top-level changes, you stick with your established pattern.

I only use the (): form when I have both symbol-specific and top-level changes.

The commit this is in regards to had both.  Branko just trimmed the rest when
he replied since he only wanted to talk about the top-level change.

Re: svn commit: r1572762 - /subversion/trunk/build/ac-macros/serf.m4

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.

C. Michael Pilato <cm...@collab.net>
CollabNet   <>   www.collab.net   <>   Enterprise Cloud Development