Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Dan Payne <dp...@sotx.org> on 2002/10/31 18:42:54 UTC

[OT] Eclipse and webapp organization

I've started looking at Eclipse (thanks to the suggestions of many on this
list) and was curious how other Struts developers organized their webapps
w/in Eclipse.  I currently develop each webapp at

C:\webapps\<app-name>\bin
C:\webapps\<app-name>\build
C:\webapps\<app-name>\dist
C:\webapps\<app-name>\docs
C:\webapps\<app-name>\pre (preproduction: contains image templates, stock
logos, etc)
C:\webapps\<app-name>\src
C:\webapps\<app-name>\unused
C:\webapps\<app-name>\web
C:\webapps\<app-name>\build.xml (for use with ant)
C:\webapps\<app-name>\startup.bat (to startup tomcat instance)
C:\webapps\<app-name>\shutdown.bat (to shutdown tomcat instance)

Ant deploys to the relative context at

C:\contexts\<app-name>\webapps\ROOT\

Each context has its own tomcat instance.

Anyways, I've been doing it this way for quite some time now and am
consequently suffering tunnel vision. How can I smoothly import my existing
apps (these contain many, many JSPs and lots of java packages) into Eclipse?
I tried creating a new project with the base set at c:\webapps\<app-name>
but that threw thousands of errors with my classes, mostly "The import
<package-name> cannot be resolved." Do I need to set up separate projects,
one for my java classes and the other for my JSPs, or do I need a
reshuffling of my folders/files? Any help would be appreciated.  I checked
the documentation but didn't see any examples on how to integrate both, what
seems to me to be, a simple project and a java project. I really like what I
see with eclipse and would like to get started with it.

Thanks again, all.

-Dan