Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> on 2009/07/01 11:52:44 UTC

Can we rename the "compress" sandbox Antlib?

Hi,

I'm planning to create an Antlib based on commons-compress that would
provide Ant tasks to create/extract cpio and ar archives as well as
ArchiveFileset subclasses based on them.

The natural name for the Antlib would be "compress" but that name is
currently taken by the Antlib that runs Javascript compressors.

Can we rename the existing Antlib? If yes, what would be a good name?

Stefan

Re: Can we rename the "compress" sandbox Antlib?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-07-26, Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm happy - compress is a bad name for the js/css compressor that's
>>> there already -I propose to change it to ant-minify.  As this seems to
>>> be what these kind of tools are actually called.

>> Sounds good.

> As of a few minutes ago, ant-compress namespace is clear

Thanks, I've occupied it by now.

> - as this is me running svn mv commands, someone may want to check
> that I haven't wrecked the sandbox ;p

Looks good from here.

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
>> I'm happy - compress is a bad name for the js/css compressor that's
>> there already -I propose to change it to ant-minify.  As this seems to
>> be what these kind of tools are actually called.
>
> Sounds good.

As of a few minutes ago, ant-compress namespace is clear - as this is
me running svn mv commands, someone may want to check that I haven't
wrecked the sandbox ;p

> Sorry.  While I think the antlib is needed and should graduate ASAP I
> also now that I'm already overcommitting (as usual?) so I can't
> promise to lend a hand.

I'm in the same boat, just realised I've committed ~ 10 changes in the
past 6 months - not good :(

Kev

Re: Can we rename the "compress" sandbox Antlib?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> I'm planning to create an Antlib based on commons-compress that would
> provide Ant tasks to create/extract cpio and ar archives as well as
> ArchiveFileset subclasses based on them.
>
> The natural name for the Antlib would be "compress" but that name is
> currently taken by the Antlib that runs Javascript compressors.
>
> Can we rename the existing Antlib? If yes, what would be a good name?

I'm happy - compress is a bad name for the js/css compressor that's
there already -I propose to change it to ant-minify.  As this seems to
be what these kind of tools are actually called.

Is anyone else interested in supporting this antlib?  I'm quite keen
for it to graduate as it's in production use at work so getting more
than one committer looking after it would be of benefit for us.

Kev

Re: Can we rename the "compress" sandbox Antlib?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2009-07-01, Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> But why not "commons-compress" AntLib for the new one?
> That's makes it more obvious what it depends on, no?

It does, but the name gets pretty unwieldy ...

org.apache.ant.commonscompress.tasks.UnCpio

Posted by Dominique Devienne <dd...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 4:52 AM, Stefan Bodewig<bo...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm planning to create an Antlib based on commons-compress that would
> provide Ant tasks to create/extract cpio and ar archives as well as
> ArchiveFileset subclasses based on them.
>
> The natural name for the Antlib would be "compress" but that name is
> currently taken by the Antlib that runs Javascript compressors.
>
> Can we rename the existing Antlib? If yes, what would be a good name?

Could be simply "jscompress"?

But why not "commons-compress" AntLib for the new one?
That's makes it more obvious what it depends on, no? --DD