Posted to users@camel.apache.org by Daniel Pocock <da...@pocock.pro> on 2015/01/05 15:40:19 UTC

Re: SMPP automatic sms splitting issue

On 17/12/14 10:48, cursed_manji wrote:
> Hi,
> I know that SMPP handles the splitting of long sms (longer than 160
> characters) automatically.
> My issue is this, when a long sms is splitted in 2 or 3 sms, one of those
> sms could get a throttling
> error . Usually when a single (not splitted) sms is getting a throttling
> error I just resend it by handling the exception, but when an sms is
> splitted and one of three parts is getting an error, I can only resend the
> whole sms (all parts) which leads to mutliple receives of the same part. Is
> there a way to resend throttled
> parts of an sms or to handle only parts of splitted messages of SMPP
> component? Thanks in advance

There have been some recent changes to this part of the code

The Camel throttler can be part of your route.  It can control the rate
at which messages are given to the endpoint to avoid throttling limits

Splitting is currently done within the endpoint.  To allow the Throttler
component to work on parts of a split message or to handle per-fragment
errors (such as a throttling error from the SMSC) it would be necessary
to divide the producer into two parts:

- a Processor that converts messages to one or more SMPP PDUs (one or
more new exchanges)

- an endpoint that sends the SMPP PDUs to the wire

I previously raised this issue in JIRA: