Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Cesar Bonadio <bo...@picture.com.br> on 2003/12/30 15:12:11 UTC

OutOfMemory in spoolmanager

Hello

We are using james version 2.1.2 and after 5 days the server
logs the following message in james-spool

30/12/03 00:51:46 ERROR spoolmanager: Exception in JamesSpoolManager.run
null
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
30/12/03 00:51:48 ERROR spoolmanager: Exception in JamesSpoolManager.run
null
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
30/12/03 00:51:51 ERROR spoolmanager: Exception in JamesSpoolManager.run
null
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

If we restart the server everything goes fine but after 5 days I get
those messages and the server stop processing messages in the spool, the
smtp works fine but it only puts messages in the spool and the messages
stay there. The maximum message size is set to 15000 and there was a
message this large in the spool, but after I restart the message was
processed correctly with no errors.

Any idea of parameter that I could change?

java version "1.4.0_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.0_01-b03)

Running on a Linux with RedHat 7 with 1Gig of memory

Another thing I notice is that when this happens the CPU load goes UP
and if I list the processes I see the java process "thread" eating a lot
of CPU

Thanks for any help

Re: OutOfMemory in spoolmanager

Posted by Cesar Bonadio <bo...@picture.com.br>.
Hello Corey

Good I am not alone :), we have some custom mailets too, we already
did some tests sending 100.000.000 messages but the server worked fine I
did not test sending real large messages but I will try that

[]s

Posted by "Corey A. Johnson" <cj...@cniweb.net>.
thank you for this!  i have a customer with two RH 9 servers running
Tomcat..  and Tomcat would die after running fine for a week or so..
with OutOfMemoryErrors..  and the same web apps ran for months on
Solaris servers...  i am sure this is the cause..

thanks Noel.  Happy New Year to all!

Cj

Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>If any of you are running a version of linux that ships with NPTL and are
>experiencing this problem, see:
>http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4959566.html.
>
>As an interim solution, before updating your servers, you can set
>
>  LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1
>
>before running James.
>
>	--- Noel

Corey A. Johnson