Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Tom Emerson <os...@pacbell.net> on 2005/01/31 10:13:26 UTC

spamd not marking messages at all...

I've got an odd one that I'm not entirely sure where to start, but here's the
scoop:  I'm running SA for both myself and my parents using fetchmail to pull
messages from our respective ISP's, pass them to postfix which uses
essentially the suggestions from the DOC page to process via the
"postfixfilter" script, then makes them available for pickup using plain old
pop3.  Recently it became apparent that SA wasn't doing anything, so I bit
the bullet and upgraded to 3.0.2 [from 2.6.3]

it still seems to not really do anything, so I ran a few tests and I don't see
ANY SA headers appearing at all when using spamd, but they do appear if
passed to spamassassin proper.  Further investigation reveals other oddities.

From my /var/log/mail file, I see these errors:

spamd[32547]: Use of uninitialized value in concatenation (.) or string
at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/Mail/SpamAssassin/NoMailAudit.pm line 184.
spamd[32547]: Use of uninitialized value in pattern match (m//)
at /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.1/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm line 875.

If I run in "debug" mode [-D], spamd hangs at the end of processing a message
passed from spamc, but not when in daemon mode [-d]  (all other switches are
set the same: -a -L -i 0.0.0.0 -A 192.168.40.0/24,127.0.0.1/24 -Q -x)

[and yes, as part of the upgrade from 2.6 to 3.0, I've set up a mysql database
and migrated the user_prefs, auto-whitelist & bayes DB files -- so far as I
can tell, this worked OK]

Although this is running on a SuSE system, SA was installed [and upgraded] via
perl -MCPAN [and passed all tests except razor as I'm not using it yet]

I'm getting the impression that spamd is aborting (silently) which causes
spamc to return an un-altered message.  Oddly enough, when in "daemon" mode,
spamc with a -R flag DOES return a proper "report" that corresponds to the
results I get when passing the same message to spamassassin directly.

osnut:~ # cat test.letter | spamc -R
0.3/5.0
Spam detection software, running on [...]

 pts rule name              description
 0.1 NO_REAL_NAME           From: does not include a real name
 0.2 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list

osnut:~ # cat test.letter | spamassassin
razor2 check skipped: No such file or directory Insecure dependency in connect
while running with -T switch
at /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.1/i586-linux-thread-multi/IO/Socket.pm line 114.
From OSNUT@pacbell.net  Sun Jan 30 22:03:23 2005
[...]

[remember, spamd is running with -L, so it wouldn't have done the DNS tests --
just to be sure, I restarted spamd without the -L and sure enough, it
matches:
osnut:~ # cat test.letter | spamc -R
1.2/5.0
Spam detection [...]
 pts rule name              description
 0.2 NO_REAL_NAME           From: does not include a real name
 1.4 DNS_FROM_RFC_POST      RBL: Envelope sender in
postmaster.rfc-ignorant.org
 0.4 DNS_FROM_RFC_ABUSE     RBL: Envelope sender in abuse.rfc-ignorant.org
-0.7 AWL                    AWL: From: address is in the auto white-list
]

odd, though, that with -L it gets different values for AWL and no-real-name...