Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ram Krishnamoorthi <ra...@yahoo.com> on 2005/01/27 17:48:02 UTC

Avoiding Blank Pages When using Multiple Page Sequences

Hello all,
Brand New FOP user here..still finding my way through
the Features. Please bear with me.

I am using it to convert XML Files into PDF Documents.

I am using Multiple Page-Sequences to avoid Memory
Issues. If I understand right, a New Page Sequence
instantiates a New Page automatically.

In each of my Page Sequence, I am calling one or two
XSL Templates. In my case, it is possible that I may
not have any data to Print in a Page Sequence because
of the absence of specific tags in the Input XML
File.I would like to avoid having blank pages in the
PDF document. Is there any attribute I can specify to
achieve the same?

Thanks
Ram

Re: Avoiding Blank Pages When using Multiple Page Sequences

Posted by JB...@s-s-t.com.
My thought precisely.

Here is a fragment from a stylesheet I wrote to print books (for the
software industry):

  <xsl:if test="$showIndex='yes'">
    <fo:page-sequence master-reference="index">
      <!-- static-content and flow goes here, to define the index pages
-->
    </fo:page-sequence>
  </xsl:if>

The $showIndex variable gets populated at the top of the stylesheet, based
on an implied (and so not always present) attribute in the XML, thus:

  <xsl:variable name="showIndex">
    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="book/@showIndex='no'">no</xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>yes</xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
  </xsl:variable>

Jay Bryant
Bryant Communication Services
(on contract at Synergistic Solution Technologies)

"J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>
01/27/2005 03:28 PM
Please respond to
fop-user@xml.apache.org

fop-user@xml.apache.org
cc

Subject

Ram Krishnamoorthi wrote:
> In each of my Page Sequence, I am calling one or two
> XSL Templates. In my case, it is possible that I may
> not have any data to Print in a Page Sequence because
> of the absence of specific tags in the Input XML
> File.I would like to avoid having blank pages in the
> PDF document. Is there any attribute I can specify to
> achieve the same?

You'll have to avoid generating the page sequence at the
XSLT level. One possiblity is to put a test for
the existence of the elements which provide the content
around the code which generates the page sequence.

J.Pietschmann

Re: Avoiding Blank Pages When using Multiple Page Sequences

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.