Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Augie Fackler <du...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/30 20:45:00 UTC

[ANN] hgsubversion - patches wanted!

Greetings all! (and apologies for you fellow VC junkies on both of
these lists)

I'm pleased to announce my work on a Mercurial extension that supports
using hg as a Subversion client has borne a fair amount of fruit, and
at the prodding of some friends I'm releasing it to the wild.

http://www.bitbucket.org/durin42/hgsubversion/

Note: at this time, it is *not* ready for prime-time use, but for
hackers it should be reasonably sane-- If it eats babies or blows up
your computer, you've been warned.

At this time, I've got push to Subversion working except for some
known defects listed in TODO, and pull has been stable for quite some
time. That said, a lot of this code is kind of scary, and could use
some cleanup. I've been working on this alone, so it's under-
documented and makes bad assumptions both on the Subversion side and
on the Mercurial side. I'd love to have people from both projects look
at this and submit comments and patches to make it even more robust.

Happy hacking!

Augie

Re: [ANN] hgsubversion - patches wanted!

Posted by Augie Fackler <li...@durin42.com>.
On Sep 30, 2008, at 5:43 PM, Ben Collins-Sussman wrote:

> I'd love to see a mailing list set up for it, issue tracker, etc.  And
> um, some sort of basic docs -- 'here's the design' and 'here's how to
> use it'.

Issues now moved from the TODO file into the BitBucket issue tracker.

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Augie Fackler wrote:
> Just to verify: I do *have* to rename this?

In my opinion, no.
There's identity protection, and there's being anal so much it hurts. No
offence intended, Karl.

-- Brane

Re: [ANN] hgsubversion - patches wanted!

Posted by Travis <sv...@castle.fastmail.fm>.
On Sep 30, 2008, at 10:28 PM, Augie Fackler wrote:

> I totally get it, I'm just a bit baffled. I figured since it was a
> portmanteau of two words it wouldn't be a problem.

A portmanteau word would blend the words, like mercursub or
something.  I'm not suggesting that.
Just pointing out that I don't believe hgsubversion is a
portmanteau.  It appears to be a compound word.

-Travis

Re: [ANN] hgsubversion - patches wanted!

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Ben Collins-Sussman" <su...@red-bean.com> writes:
> Is that our strongest conviction on this -- "would be better"?  I
> can't see any trademark issue here.
>
>  'hgsvn' is already taken, and I don't see how the name 'hgsubversion'
> is "likely to cause confusion as to the identity of the Subversion
> project" or "indicates a greater degree of association between you and
> the Subversion project than actually exists" or "implies a designated
> successor to Subversion".   I don't think anyone is going to look at
> that name and think that the software is part of Subversion itself,
> officially associated with Subversion, or is a successor to
> Subversion.  It's got 'hg' in the name, so that pretty much makes it
> clear that it's some sort of bridge to a completely different VC
> system.

I didn't know 'hgsvn' was already taken when I responded.  Had it not
been taken, 'hgsvn' would have been obviously the better name.

I'm fine with it if the other members are.  It *will* cause some small
amount of confusion, but only a little, and easy remedied.  (Ben, you
live and breathe this stuff -- to you, "hg" is a two-letter word
suffused with meaning.  To others, it's the letter "h" followed by the
letter "g".  But anyone who doesn't know will quickly learn.)

-K

Re: [ANN] hgsubversion - patches wanted!

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com>.

Posted by Augie Fackler <li...@durin42.com>.
On Sep 30, 2008, at 9:39 PM, Karl Fogel wrote:

> Augie Fackler <li...@durin42.com> writes:

>>> Does our (Subversion's) trademark policy allow the name
>>> "hgsubversion" in
>>> this context?
>>
>> Ugh, I hate this kind of junk.
>>
>> If someone from the Subversion Corporation wants to weigh in, I'd
>> appreciate it before I get too much further with documentation. I
>> don't see any reason why there *should* be a problem with the name,
>> given my desire is to work with both communities, not against either.
>
> Oh, it has nothing to do with goodwill or intentions -- trademarks are
> just about preventing identity confusion, that's all.

I totally get it, I'm just a bit baffled. I figured since it was a
portmanteau of two words it wouldn't be a problem.

>> I'll gladly rename the project if necessary. It seems like such a
>> silly thing.
>
> "hgsvn" would be better, yeah.
>
> http://subversion.org/legal/trademark-policy.html is the document to
> read on this.  It's short, readable, and very clear on this question.

As it turns out, hgsvn is another project that does something similar,
but different. I'll have to invent some new name tomorrow.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
Augie Fackler <li...@durin42.com> writes:

>> Does our (Subversion's) trademark policy allow the name
>> "hgsubversion" in
>> this context?
>
> Ugh, I hate this kind of junk.
>
> If someone from the Subversion Corporation wants to weigh in, I'd
> appreciate it before I get too much further with documentation. I
> don't see any reason why there *should* be a problem with the name,
> given my desire is to work with both communities, not against either.

Oh, it has nothing to do with goodwill or intentions -- trademarks are
just about preventing identity confusion, that's all.

> I'll gladly rename the project if necessary. It seems like such a
> silly thing.

"hgsvn" would be better, yeah.

http://subversion.org/legal/trademark-policy.html is the document to
read on this.  It's short, readable, and very clear on this question.

> (mumbling vexedly about intellectual property being exceedingly
> annoying right now)

:-)

Posted by Augie Fackler <li...@durin42.com>.

Re: Fwd: [ANN] hgsubversion - patches wanted!

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
Augie Fackler wrote on Tue, 30 Sep 2008 at 17:37 -0500:
> Third try might be the charm, evidently the email address I used isn't the one
> that is subscribed here.
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> > From: Augie Fackler <du...@gmail.com>
> > Date: September 30, 2008 3:45:00 PM CDT
> > To: dev@subversion.tigris.org, mercurial-devel <me...@selenic.com>
> > Subject: [ANN] hgsubversion - patches wanted!
> >
> > Greetings all! (and apologies for you fellow VC junkies on both of these
> > lists)
> >
> > I'm pleased to announce my work on a Mercurial extension that supports using
> > hg as a Subversion client has borne a fair amount of fruit, and at the
> > prodding of some friends I'm releasing it to the wild.

For some time I've been considering what VCS to put my homedir under.
I'll look at your extension, then, to see if it will fit this use.

> > http://www.bitbucket.org/durin42/hgsubversion/

Does our (Subversion's) trademark policy allow the name "hgsubversion" in
this context?

Daniel

Posted by Augie Fackler <li...@durin42.com>.

Posted by Benoit Boissinot <bb...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Shun-ichi GOTO <sh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/10/1 Augie Fackler <du...@gmail.com>:
>> Greetings all! (and apologies for you fellow VC junkies on both of these
>> lists)
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce my work on a Mercurial extension that supports using
>> hg as a Subversion client has borne a fair amount of fruit, and at the
>> prodding of some friends I'm releasing it to the wild.
>>
>> http://www.bitbucket.org/durin42/hgsubversion/
>
> Interesting!
> I need a small fix to run on win32.
> With this patch, I successed svnclone for my one local svn repo
> (but not yet fully checked).
>
> diff -r 89f88df794d3 -r 1f6fb5310711 hg_delta_editor.py
> --- a/hg_delta_editor.py        Tue Sep 30 18:01:35 2008 -0500
> +++ b/hg_delta_editor.py        Thu Oct 02 20:10:48 2008 +0900
> @@ -27,6 +27,8 @@
>     except:
>         raise
>     else:
> +        if os.path.exists(file_path):
> +            os.remove(file_path)
>         os.rename(path, file_path)

just use util.rename instead, it takes care of this.

regards,

Benoit

Re: [ANN] hgsubversion - patches wanted!

Posted by Augie Fackler <li...@durin42.com>.
On Oct 2, 2008, at 6:54 AM, Shun-ichi GOTO wrote:

> 2008/10/1 Augie Fackler <du...@gmail.com>:
>> Greetings all! (and apologies for you fellow VC junkies on both of
>> these
>> lists)
>>
>> I'm pleased to announce my work on a Mercurial extension that
>> supports using
>> hg as a Subversion client has borne a fair amount of fruit, and at
>> the
>> prodding of some friends I'm releasing it to the wild.
>>
>> http://www.bitbucket.org/durin42/hgsubversion/
>
> Interesting!
> I need a small fix to run on win32.
> With this patch, I successed svnclone for my one local svn repo
> (but not yet fully checked).

Excellent! I'm glad it worked with so few changes. Your diffs, with a
few changes on my part (I want to keep the svn wrappers independent of
hg), are in the repo now.

I don't have a win32 machine to test on, so I greatly appreciate the
help.

(Thanks also to Patrick and Benoit for the tip on util.rename())

Peace,
Augie

Posted by Shun-ichi GOTO <sh...@gmail.com>.