Posted to user@lenya.apache.org by Kirk Storer <ba...@yahoo.com> on 2004/07/12 22:03:25 UTC

LDAP Authentication

Any one know of a good source of information for
configuring Lenya to authenticate via LDAP?

Thanks,
Kirk

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Torsten Schlabach wrote:

[...]

> Fine. And where in the whole Lenya source code is that class ever used?
> Where is the LDAPAccreditableManager (see:
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/AuthenticationAndAuthorizationBackgrounder).
> Where is the LDAPUserManager? And the like?

None of this is necessary.
The relevant code is:

cocoon-lenya/src/webapp/lenya/content/admin/users/user-admin.js

if (ldap) {
   var ldapUser = new
     Packages.org.apache.lenya.ac.ldap.LDAPUser(configDir);

unizh/pubs/unitemplate/lenya/xslt/admin/users/users.xsl

<input type="hidden" name="lenya.usecase" value="userAddUserLdap"/>

> That class appears to me as if someone has started to develop all that but
> did not finish. Or if he or she finished it: How about checking it in
> whoever has done that work already?

It is not necessary to check in additional code.

> incubating-lenya-1.2final1-src/src/java # grep -r LDAPUser *

You missed to search the webapp (it happens in the flowscript).

HTH,
-- Andreas

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.
Jan,

>> We are actually using lenya Version 1.2 together with our ldap server.

What flavor of 1.2? 1.2RC xyz, the recent 1.2 release, ...?

>> One class who deals with ldap: org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java

Fine. And where in the whole Lenya source code is that class ever used?
Where is the LDAPAccreditableManager (see:
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/AuthenticationAndAuthorizationBackgrounder).
Where is the LDAPUserManager? And the like?

That class appears to me as if someone has started to develop all that but
did not finish. Or if he or she finished it: How about checking it in
whoever has done that work already?

I have attached a grep -r on the Lenya source. Compare to your's.

Torsten

*** SNIP ***

incubating-lenya-1.2final1-src/src/java # grep -r LDAPUser *
org/apache/lenya/ac/impl/LDAPUserAuthenticator.java:public class
LDAPUserAuthenticator extends AbstractLogEnabled implements Authenticator {
org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java:/* $Id: LDAPUser.java,v 1.4
2004/03/03 12:56:33 gregor Exp $  */
org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java:public class LDAPUser extends
FileUser {
org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java: private static Category log =
Category.getInstance(LDAPUser.class);
org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java:  * Creates a new LDAPUser object.
org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java: public LDAPUser() {
org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java:  * Creates a new LDAPUser object.
org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java: public LDAPUser(File
configurationDirectory) {
org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java:  * Create an LDAPUser
org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java:  *            user id of LDAPUser
org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java:  *            of LDAPUser
org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java:  *            of LDAPUser
org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java: public LDAPUser(File
configurationDirectory, String id, String email, String ldapId)
org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java:  * Create a new LDAPUser from a
configuration
org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java:  * The LDAPUser doesn't store any
passwords as they are handled by LDAP

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.

Re: LDAP Authentication

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Jann Forrer <ja...@id.unizh.ch>.
On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, Torsten Schlabach wrote:

> >> Lenya is actually already integrated with LDAP.
> >> However, the "default
> >> publication" doesn't have it in the GUI.
>
> I think this is how an urban legend evolves! If enough people keep repeating
> what they heared from other people the public will start to accept it as a
> fact! See:
> http://www.ulrc.com.au/html/Frequently_Asked_Questions.asp?FAQRefNum=FAQ0003
>
> >> If you install the "Uni" publication (see http://wyona.org/) you will see
> >> an example. The subdirectory lenya/pubs/default/config/ac/passwd has a
> >> README on what you need to do (basically, just edit ldap.properties and
> >> add the server certificate to the keystore)
>
> I have done that and all I saw was an error message. The README says hardly
> anything else except: "Put the LDAP context in the config file". But there
> is nothing in the Lenya code that will do anything useful with it.
>
> I might be wrong but so far nobody has told me the name of the classes in
> Lenya that implement anyhting LDAP related.

We run the "Uni" publication and we did integrated LDAP and it works
pretty well and this certainly is no urban legend ;-)
One class who deals with ldap: org/apache/lenya/ac/ldap/LDAPUser.java

You can find inststuction howto download the uni publication under
http://www.wyona.org/.

Jann

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.
>> I understand; the best thing in the short term is probably to add a
>> How-To to the Wiki. Would you like me to send you per e-mail a
>> preliminary How-To ?
>> Once we completed and confirmed it, we would put it in the wiki area

Very good plan!

Torsten

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Wolfgang Kaltz <jw...@yahoo.com>.

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.
>> And what makes you think I was just repeating what I heard from other
>> people?

Sorry, I did not mean to blame anyone. It's just annoying that the question
has been asked 100 times on the mailing list, the stereotype answer is:
Browse the archives, it's all in there. But all that's in the archives is
this unitemplate beeing mentioned and *any* question of *anyone* (including
myself some weeks or months earlier) reporting that he or she could not make
it work was silently ignored.

As a result I was using quite some amount of time to dig through the source
code and get a view on how LDAP authentication could be implemented. This is
why I was quite sure it is not yet done.

Also what scares me is that some of the committers obviously don't know it's
in there ...

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Wolfgang Kaltz <jw...@yahoo.com>.
Andreas Kuckartz <A.Kuckartz <at> ping.de> writes:

> What is "unitemplate" ? Is it a part of Lenya ?!

It is part of a publication using Lenya, but not within the Lenya distribution.
You can get this publication ( "University of Zurich Lenya Publication")
 as described on http://wyona.org

That will give you several directories which you can copy into your "lenya/pubs"
subdirectory of your Lenya installation.
Once you do that, you should see on the Lenya start page the "Unicom"
publication. If you look at the link, you will see it points to the
"unitemplate" subdirectory; in this you will also find the LDAP files
(such as ldap.properties)

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de>.
> The fact of the matter is, we checked out the current state of Lenya last
week,
> adapted the ldap.properties in the unitemplate to our LDAP name, and ... it
> works.

What is "unitemplate" ? Is it a part of Lenya ?!

Andreas

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Wolfgang Kaltz <jw...@yahoo.com>.

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Torsten Schlabach <TS...@gmx.net>.

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
Cheers Wolfgang,

before I comment your mail, one question:
Can you provide a patch for the default pub regarding LDAP integration?

If so I would be happy to commit that patch!
Thanks for this howto!!!

Wolfgang Kaltz wrote:

>Lenya is actually already integrated with LDAP. However, the "default
>publication" doesn't have it in the GUI.
>If you install the "Uni" publication (see http://wyona.org/) you will see an
>example. The subdirectory lenya/pubs/default/config/ac/passwd has a README
>on what you need to do (basically, just edit ldap.properties and add the
>server certificate to the keystore)

Torsten wrote that the uni-pub is not working with the 1.2 release (I
haven't checked it). Can you attach the readme to
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/AuthenticationAndAuthorizationBackgrounder?

>If you want to use the "default publication" as your basis, you will need
>to update the admin GUI as well, in order to have the LDAP relevant buttons.
>In the "unitemplate" directory, this is handled within
>   lenya/xslt/admin
>
>The idea seems to be that you define a user of Lenya as being an LDAP user.
>The userid of the Lenya user need not be identical with the userid in LDAP
>(but can be identical).
>Once you have done that, this user can login using his LDAP password. But, you
>still need to add group permissions to him within Lenya. It would be
>conceivable to configure these groups within LDAP, but I don't think this has
>been implemented.
>
>The question is whether LDAP integration should be shown in the default
>publication. If it is, then it would make using LDAP simpler, obviously.
>But, the LDAP relevant information would then appear in the default, even for
>people who don't use LDAP - so this could be confusing.

Just make it an option!

LDAP. If you choose LDAP that brings you to a config page where you can
add your host, base DN, user dn and password.

This way we would have it in the default pub without confusing the user.

WDYT?

thorsten

--
Thorsten Scherler

Departamento de Desarrollo de Proyectos
Sociedad Andaluza para el Desarrollo de la Sociedad de la InformaciĆ³n S.A.U.

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Wolfgang Kaltz <jw...@yahoo.com>.

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by "Scherler, Thorsten" <th...@apache.org>.
Kirk Storer wrote:
> Any one know of a good source of information for
> configuring Lenya to authenticate via LDAP?

Hello Kirk,

have a look at
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon-lenya/AuthenticationAndAuthorizationBackgrounder

Torsten Schlabach is as well looking for the integration of LDAP-Auth in
to lenya. He is the author of the above mentioned page!

...maybe you can join forces and come up with a solution that we can
incooperate into the 1.2.1 release.

Here are some mails from Torsten regarding LDAP:
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lenya-dev@cocoon.apache.org&msgNo=4883
http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/ReadMsg?listName=lenya-dev@cocoon.apache.org&msgNo=4784

HTH
thorsten

--
<thorsten>
  <name>Thorsten Scherler</name>
  <country>Spain</country>
  <@m...@mail>
  <@cocoon-WIKI>
http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/Scherler
</...@cocoon-WIKI>
  <acronymfinder>
http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?String=exact&Find=Find&Acronym=
  </acronymfinder>
  <motto>
    "My task which I am trying to achieve is,
     by the power of the written word,
     [...] to make you see."
     *Joseph Conrad (1857-1924)*
  </motto>
</thorsten>

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Hubertus Groepper <hu...@groepper.com>.
Am 12.07.2004 um 22:24 schrieb Kirk Storer:

> Where is the email archive?

http://nagoya.apache.org/eyebrowse/SummarizeList?listName=lenya-
user@cocoon.apache.org
hubertus

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Kirk Storer <ba...@yahoo.com>.
Where is the email archive?

Re: LDAP Authentication

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.
On Mon, 12 Jul 2004, Kirk Storer wrote:

> Any one know of a good source of information for
> configuring Lenya to authenticate via LDAP?

Please take a look at the email archive.  There's been a long
thread on this topic.

--
JP