Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Todd Grigsby <st...@tgrigsby.com> on 2009/12/13 22:23:03 UTC

MySQL + JDBC

Let me simplify the question: Has anyone out there managed to create a
working connection to the latest version of MySQL 64-bit via JDBC from
Struts 2?

TG

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Todd Grigsby <st...@tgrigsby.com>.
Works great, Neil, thanks for asking.

TG

RE: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Neil Aggarwal <ne...@JAMMConsulting.com>.

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Todd Grigsby <st...@tgrigsby.com>.

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Todd Grigsby <st...@tgrigsby.com>.

Yes.  Running Tomcat 6 as a Windows service...    Ok, this is
interesting.  On a whim, I ran tomcat6w, and when it came up, it appears
to using the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\client\jvm.dll",
which implies to me that the JVM it's attempting to use is the 32-bit
version.

High five, Mr. Kobly.

I searched around and, under C:\Program Files, I found a couple of
jvm.dll's.  I tried pointing Tomcat to each of them, but the service
died with an error code of #1.  Not sure what that is, but it occurs to
me that I might fix this by simply reinstalling Tomcat and, when it asks
for a JRE, I'll point it to the other JVM DLLs and see what it does.

TG

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Patrick J Kobly <pa...@kobly.com>.

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Todd Grigsby <st...@tgrigsby.com>.

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Patrick J Kobly <pa...@kobly.com>.
Todd Grigsby wrote:
> Other native apps.  The Java apps are being migrated from a 32-bit
> environment (WinXP and Java 32-bit + Struts 1.1), and they worked
> there.  I don't want to point to any one thing, since every part of
> the equation is a newer version of what was there before, but at this
> point the only things that can't use the connections are the web apps.
But the web apps are the only things that use Java.  You don't have
standalone Java apps or Java webapps built on a different framework than
Struts...  The issue is almost certainly a 32-bit JRE trying to access a
64-bit ODBC driver.
> Have you tried an all 64-bit setup with ODBC?
Nope.  Have never had a need for ODBC.  Though I can sorta see its
advantages in a mixed-language environment.
> TG
PK

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Todd Grigsby <st...@tgrigsby.com>.

Other native apps.  The Java apps are being migrated from a 32-bit
environment (WinXP and Java 32-bit + Struts 1.1), and they worked
there.  I don't want to point to any one thing, since every part of the
equation is a newer version of what was there before, but at this point
the only things that can't use the connections are the web apps.  Have

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Patrick J Kobly <pa...@kobly.com>.

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Todd Grigsby <st...@tgrigsby.com>.

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Gabriel Belingueres <be...@gmail.com>.

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Todd Grigsby <st...@tgrigsby.com>.

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Nils-Helge Garli Hegvik <ni...@gmail.com>.

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Todd Grigsby <st...@tgrigsby.com>.

(Beating head on keyboard...)

RE: MySQL + JDBC

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Gabriel Belingueres <be...@gmail.com>.
What do you mean by "I need to use ODBC to abstract the database connection."??

In most (all?) web containers I know about, there is a standard way of
abstract out the database connection and it is by declaring a
javax.sql.DataSource, which you can get it from JNDI (which is pretty
standard too.)
Declaring the datasource may be app server vendor dependent, but it is
the same mechanism for all database vendors (having a JDBC
drive)...you just declare the fully qualified driver class name, the
username, the password, the connection URL, and the JNDI name.

Also, going to configure an ODBC driver you get the extra complexity
of installing the right version for the OS...I remember a couple of
headaches trying to configure a 32-bit ODBC driver on a 64-bit win2003
server.

Gabriel

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Todd Grigsby <st...@tgrigsby.com>.

Re: MySQL + JDBC

Posted by Manos Batsis <ma...@geekologue.com>.
Todd Grigsby wrote:

> Fantastic!  The error that I'm getting is,
> "org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot create
> PoolableConnectionFactory ([Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] The
> specified DSN contains an architecture mismatch between the Driver and
> Application."  Ever seen that?

My guess is you are using a microsoft ODBC to JDBC driver or something?
Just use the JDBC drivers for MySQL. You can download those and get
docos from MySQL's website.

hth,

Manos

Re: MySQL + JDBC