Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by "Kelcey Damage (BT)" <ke...@backbonetechnology.com> on 2013/02/28 04:59:39 UTC

RE: HA question

Hi,

I can’t remember, do we enable HA on a per host basis, or on a per cluster basis?

Thanks.

http://www.backbone.gr/media/backbone_symbol1.pngKelcey Damage
Infrastructure Systems Architect
 <http://www.backbonetechnology.com/> www.backbonetechnology.com
 <ma...@backbonetechnology.com> kelcey@backbonetechnology.com

address: 55 East 7th Ave, Vancouver, BC, V5T 1M4
tel: +1 604 713 8560 ext:114
fax: +1 604 605 0964
skype: kelcey.damage

RE: HA question

Posted by Sateesh Chodapuneedi <sa...@citrix.com>.

Yes, wanted to add more here...
VMware provides granular options at level of VM to override the cluster lelvel setting.
That means even if a host in a HA enabled cluster, crashes, only those VMs that are
marked for HA would be taken care. Apart from that it is also possible to override
other HA parameters like priority etc.

Regards,
Sateesh

> At least, that is the way I understand this..
>
> I also wonder what happens in CloudStack if a host crashes (assume there were
> no VMs on it) - would CloudStack detect this host is down and reduce the
> available capacity?
>
> Hari

RE: HA question

Posted by kd...@apache.org.
I have set up a placeholder @

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+HA

I will start and compile data here and then format as time goes on,
everybody feel to deposit chunks of data and I will parse through and sort.

Also I am not familiar with how to add this to our index page, can I get
some assistance on that?

Thanks

-Kelcey

Re: HA question

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.

RE: HA question

Posted by Clayton Weise <cw...@iswest.net>.

Re: HA question

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.
Cool, more fuel to get a proper section on HA.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: HA question

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.

RE: HA question

Re: HA question

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.
I could get one started.

Re: HA question

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.

Re: HA question

Posted by "Kelceydamage@bbits" <ke...@bbits.ca>.

Re: HA question

Posted by Ahmad Emneina <ae...@gmail.com>.

RE: HA question

Posted by Mice Xia <mi...@tcloudcomputing.com>.

RE: HA question

RE: HA question

So it's safe to conclude that HA while enabled on the host(As in the module), must be available cluster wide(uniform cluster). This is how VMware and others operate.

Thanks all.

-Kelcey

RE: HA question

Posted by kd...@apache.org.

RE: HA question

Posted by Sateesh Chodapuneedi <sa...@citrix.com>.

RE: HA question

Posted by Hari Kannan <ha...@citrix.com>.
Hi Kelsey,

Not sure I understand this question :-) There is no HA for hosts - what is being protected is the VM, not the host..

Hari

Thanks that’s awesome, but not quite the answer I was looking for.

Re: HA question

Posted by Nitin Mehta <Ni...@citrix.com>.
CS has its own HA logic and doesn't use the native HA of the HV and so the
question for enabling the HA for hosts doesn't arise. This is true for XS.
For Vmware and KVM, I will let the guru's speak :)

On 28/02/13 9:55 AM, "kdamage@apache.org" <kd...@apache.org> wrote:

>Thanks that¹s awesome, but not quite the answer I was looking for.
>
>To better phrase my question, if the cluster is the basic unit of
>availability, when hosts are enabled for HA, must all hosts in the
>cluster be enabled? Or can the cluster exist with a non-uniform
>structure, having only some hosts enabled for HA?
>
>You partially answered it with the special reserve HA hosts, but I'm
>looking more in terms of general use.
>
>Thanks
>
>-kelcey

RE: HA question

Posted by kd...@apache.org.

RE: HA question

Posted by Hari Kannan <ha...@citrix.com>.
Hi Kelsey,

HA is at 2 levels – VMs can be marked HA. In addition, you can mark some hosts as reserved for “Dedicated” HA hosts. Quoting from the manual, the dedicated HA option is set through a special host tag when the host is created. To allow the administrator to dedicate hosts to only HA-enabled VMs, set the global configuration variable ha.tag to the desired tag (for example, "ha_host"), and restart the Management Server. Enter the value in the Host Tags field when adding the host(s) that you want to dedicate to HA-enabled VMs.

Hari

kelcey@backbonetechnology.com<ma...@backbonetechnology.com>