Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Julius Neuffer <ju...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/08 08:03:11 UTC

Future of Python support

Hi,

I am interested in using Flink as part of a research project. We normally
use python as a programming language. The python support for the Batch API
is already quite good. But I couldn't find any information on the future
roadmap regarding python support in Flink.

Are there plans to add python support for the Streaming API? What would be
obstacles/pitfalls in doing so?

Best regards,
Julius Neuffer

Re: Future of Python support

Posted by Chesnay Schepler <ch...@apache.org>.
Hello Julius,

I don't think there is any real roadmap for the Python API, regardless
of batch or streaming.

Of the top of my head i can think of the following issue:

The batch Python API makes heavy use of MapPartitions to transfer data
in batches,
I'm not sure how well this could be done for streaming.

Regards,
Chesnay