Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net> on 2016/12/12 19:03:23 UTC

Making test framework and trunk approachable (was: PCRE 10 and puzzling edge cases)

On Dec 12, 2016 3:52 AM, "Petr Pisar" <pp...@redhat.com> wrote:

I think the inability to build httpd against system APR and to run test
against not yet installed httpd is quite surprising.

Thanks for taking the additional time to document your experiences!

System APR does require the -devel package. That RHEL package aught to
install the .m4 logic required by httpd, but it is on us to find that in a
conventional place.

Httpd trunk is already hunting for yet unreleased APR 1.6 features, but we
should better document that.

Not yet installed httpd is a little more complex, maybe we can add an
interim apxs in the build tree to facilitate this?

Working from my hardcopy of your list once our current release effort is
finished. Again, thanks.

Re: Making test framework and trunk approachable

Posted by Jacob Champion <ch...@gmail.com>.
On 12/12/2016 11:03 AM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2016 3:52 AM, "Petr Pisar" <ppisar@redhat.com
> <ma...@redhat.com>> wrote:
>     I think the inability to build httpd against system APR and to run test
>     against not yet installed httpd is quite surprising.

Big ++1 to this; I would be happy to provide dev cycles towards running
tests inside the build tree, without installation, once 2.4.24 is out
the door.

--Jacob

Re: Making test framework and trunk approachable (was: PCRE 10 and puzzling edge cases)

Posted by Petr Pisar <pp...@redhat.com>.
On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 01:03:23PM -0600, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
> System APR does require the -devel package. That RHEL package aught to
> install the .m4 logic required by httpd, but it is on us to find that in a
> conventional place.

I think this should be handled in the buildconf script. The apr-devel package
puts find_apr.m4 into /usr/share/aclocal (check "aclocal --print-ac-dir"
output).

> Httpd trunk is already hunting for yet unreleased APR 1.6 features, but we
> should better document that.

That can happen. Then there is nothing to improve.

> Not yet installed httpd is a little more complex, maybe we can add an
> interim apxs in the build tree to facilitate this?

Something like libtool allows to run executables linked to just-built
libraries. Maybe.

But I think the hardest issue is the modules sources are scattered across many
directories and the just-built module DSOs too. Tests should have to be
smarter in locating them.

-- Petr