Posted to dev@bloodhound.apache.org by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> on 2020/09/12 14:45:22 UTC

Is it time for Bloodhound to move to the Apache Attic?

While we very much appreciate Gary's repeated efforts to bring back new
life to Apache Bloodhound, reviewing the past year of dev/user/private
traffic and #bloodhound on the-asf's Slack, I don't see other energy.

The board meeting is this coming Wednesday, and we'd really like to hear
some feedback from the community one way or the other, since there
hasn't been a board report since May.

- If Gary and anyone who's been involved recently know it's time for the
Attic, please let us know - we could post and pass the resolution at
either this month's Board meeting or next month's.

- If you do feel like you have more energy to drive Apache Bloodhound,
then we need the PMC to perform a roll call, to show that at least three
people are still active and able to oversee the project:

  https://apache.org/dev/pmc.html#roll-call

Reminder: moving to the Apache Attic isn't a bad thing - it's just a
recognition that there's no longer an *active* PMC able to manage the
project here at the ASF.  All project code, website, mailing lists would
get turned read-only, but will *still be available* at the same URLs.

Thanks for all the work in the past, and the cute logo!

--

- Shane
  Director & Member

Re: Is it time for Bloodhound to move to the Apache Attic?

Posted by Allan Swanepoel <al...@gmail.com>.
As much as I like the old bloodhound project, I’m not personally in a
situation where I can contribute time or effort to keep it alive.

Also, I haven’t seen anything yet with the discussion on porting it to
Django or flask that took off a few years ago when bloodhound was at that
time considered for the attic. Circumstances being what it is, I’m not the
most up to date with the current platform. If Gary is the only person
working on it, is it worth keeping alive right now? There are much better
bigger and smaller solutions out there, and git has become the golden
standard over the years too.

Imho, maybe it is time for bloodhound to be archived, and those who want to
use it can do so, just my 5 cents worth.

Salut bloodhound and thank you all.

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 at 14:50, Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> wrote:

> [...]
>
> here, and able to provide oversight for the project.  If you've still
>
> got plans, and some energy to work on them, let us know (via at least a
>
> simple report), and keep going!
>

> My only hint with energy later this month is to also communicate your
>
> plans, and lay out any ideas ahead of time.  Sometimes it just takes
>
> someone saying "hey, yes, that's the idea I had" to want to join in.
>

> Good luck!
>

> --
>

> - Shane
>
>   Director & Member
>
>   The Apache Software Foundation
>

> Gary wrote on 9/13/20 9:23 AM:
>
> > Hi everyone and thanks to Shane for bringing this up.
>

> > For my part I still have an interest in continuing and I really want to
> get things organised again.
>

> > However, this discussion certainly needs to happen. Is there really
> enough interest amongst us to keep this going and can we translate the
> interest into actual action?
>

> > Coincidentally, I was planning to take a week off work from the 21st
> September which I was hoping to be able to use to help make some progress
> on Bloodhound. Life being what it is, I am not going to be sure how much of
> that time I will be able dedicate to Bloodhound but I have nothing else
> organised for that time (apart from the Sunday before that). Obviously I
> can't expect others to just drop everything and join me in taking a week
> off on this basis, so I am more hoping that there would be interest from
> people in setting some time aside to chat with me and hopefully others on
> #bloodhound in the-asf Slack and see what progress we can make.
>

> > Cheers,
>
> >     Gary
>

> > On Sat, 12 Sep 2020, at 3:45 PM, Shane Curcuru wrote:
>
> >> While we very much appreciate Gary's repeated efforts to bring back new
>
> >> life to Apache Bloodhound, reviewing the past year of dev/user/private
>
> >> traffic and #bloodhound on the-asf's Slack, I don't see other energy.
>

> >> The board meeting is this coming Wednesday, and we'd really like to hear
>
> >> some feedback from the community one way or the other, since there
>
> >> hasn't been a board report since May.
>

> >> - If Gary and anyone who's been involved recently know it's time for the
>
> >> Attic, please let us know - we could post and pass the resolution at
>
> >> either this month's Board meeting or next month's.
>

> >> - If you do feel like you have more energy to drive Apache Bloodhound,
>
> >> then we need the PMC to perform a roll call, to show that at least three
>
> >> people are still active and able to oversee the project:
>

> >>   https://apache.org/dev/pmc.html#roll-call
>

> >> Reminder: moving to the Apache Attic isn't a bad thing - it's just a
>
> >> recognition that there's no longer an *active* PMC able to manage the
>
> >> project here at the ASF.  All project code, website, mailing lists would
>
> >> get turned read-only, but will *still be available* at the same URLs.
>

> >> Thanks for all the work in the past, and the cute logo!

We live in an age when pizza gets to your home before the police.
  - Jeff Marder
Allan Swanepoel
allanice001@gmail.com
+44 7887 521179

Linux User #452990
Linux Machine #360914
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of  the  individual
addressee(s)  named  above  and  may  contain information that is
confidential,  privileged  or  unsuitable  for  overly  sensitive persons
with  low  self-esteem, no sense of humour or irrational religious beliefs.
If you are not  the  intended  recipient,  any dissemination,
distribution  or copying  of  this  email is not authorised (either
explicitly or implicitly) and  constitutes  an irritating  social  faux
pas. Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context
somewhere  other  than  in  this warning, it does not have any legal or
grammatical use and may be ignored. No animals were  harmed  in  the
transmission  of  this email,  although  the  yorkshire  terrier  next door
is living on borrowed time, let me tell you. Those of you with an
overwhelming fear  of  the unknown will be gratified to learn that there is
no hidden message revealed by reading  this  warning  backwards,  so just
ignore that Alert Notice from Microsoft: However, by pouring a complete
circle of salt around yourself and your  computer  you can  ensure  that
no harm befalls you and your pets.

Re: Is it time for Bloodhound to move to the Apache Attic?

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
I don't have any coding time, but I do have review/oversight time. That
makes (4) for oversight.

Posted by John Chambers <ch...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary <al...@fastmail.co.uk>.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Nobody is stopping you. There are a bunch of forks already:
https://github.com/apache/bloodhound/network/members

Posted by jason <ja...@cropwell.net.INVALID>.
Post it on Github and let us fork it.Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.
-------- Original message --------From: Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org> Date: 12/09/2020  15:45  (GMT+00:00) To: dev@bloodhound.apache.org Subject: Is it time for Bloodhound to move to the Apache Attic? While we very much appreciate Gary's repeated efforts to bring back newlife to Apache Bloodhound, reviewing the past year of dev/user/privatetraffic and #bloodhound on the-asf's Slack, I don't see other energy.The board meeting is this coming Wednesday, and we'd really like to hearsome feedback from the community one way or the other, since therehasn't been a board report since May.- If Gary and anyone who's been involved recently know it's time for theAttic, please let us know - we could post and pass the resolution ateither this month's Board meeting or next month's.- If you do feel like you have more energy to drive Apache Bloodhound,then we need the PMC to perform a roll call, to show that at least threepeople are still active and able to oversee the project:  https://apache.org/dev/pmc.html#roll-callReminder: moving to the Apache Attic isn't a bad thing - it's just arecognition that there's no longer an *active* PMC able to manage theproject here at the ASF.  All project code, website, mailing lists wouldget turned read-only, but will *still be available* at the same URLs.Thanks for all the work in the past, and the cute logo!-- - Shane  Director & Member  The Apache Software Foundation